01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 Smart events not triggering recordings

alexf40

Hi

I've moved monitoring services and the new service required me to setup events on the cameras to use for their platform, which has led me to discover some issues I'm having with iVMS. (The previous monitoring platform I had in place used their own maching learning to discover events.)

The issue I'm having is that there is no record file being generated from smart events.

Previously I used the basic events enable motion detection linked to trigger recordings, which worked fine. But due to amount of false alerts I was getting in the new platform I changed these to smart events, which appear to be triggering nicely and has cut down about 95% of the alerts I was getting with basic events.

The smart events arming schedule is constant full time, the linkage method is notify survillance center and trigger recording A1.

Also in iVMS underneath the date picker calendars it says 'Today:' with nothing else, should this show the date/time?

All cameras and NVR were rebooted. All the cameras show correctly in iVMS main view, all have the right date, all are setup for event recording, all events are correctly triggered, iVMS correctly shows the alerts.

If I change the recording schedule from event to continuous a recording file is correctly recorded.

Am I missing something out?

Thanks in advance.

iVMS 4200 - v3.4.0.10 build 20201214
NVR DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P - V3.4.103 build 181226
5x DS-2CD2332-I - V5.4.5 build 170123
2x DS-2CD2342WD-I - V5.5.82 build 190220

Attachments

• schedule.JPG
    schedule.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 660
  • linkage.JPG
    linkage.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 532
  • arming.JPG
    arming.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 590
  • intrusion-detection.JPG
    intrusion-detection.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
It's because you're setting the schedule in the camera. In your case the NVR is responsible for the recording. Set everything via the NVR interface not the cameras webpage.

1 - System > Event > Smart Event. Select your camera and configure accordingly
2 - Storage > Schedule > Record. Select the camera and set a schedule for each camera whether you want Continuous > Event etc

You would only need to set the schedule in the individual camera if you were recording to an SD card on camera perhaps or sending images to a NAS.

Thanks for the help here, I'm a little confused though. As I thought iVMS read the settings from the camera? I set the smart events in the cameras and all the lines appears on the camera views within iVMS, and if I set them to continous or basic events directly in the camera it records fine in iVMS.

However, I have tried what you suggested and set the storage schedule directly in the NVR and I still get no record file found in iVMS.

I don't understand how the setting syncing works, as when I went directly in the NVR the intrustion and line crossing marks appear in the camera settings in the NVR the theshold, sensitivy and percentage were out. Does it sync the settings when the camera is rebooted?

1612258566233.png

I should also mention that none of the cameras are connected directly to the NVR, they are all connected to a switch.

What is best practice for setting the configuration? In iVMS, NVR or camera?

If the NVR is recording the cameras, then it's best to set up everything via the NVR. I don't personally use iVMS very often (I don't find it particularly user friendly). iVMS can be used to monitor cameras live, receive incoming events and record those events to the hard disk of the machine on which you have it running. What can cause confusion, is that smart events for real time alerts can be set within iVMS that are only used there and are not saved on the camera. For example a security guard could put a line on screen to trigger an alert.

But you cannot set up everything via NVR, most of the camera settings are missing. E.g. You can not set Min and Max object sizes (Intrusion settings). I'm also messing around with this, since NVR is keep reseting all Camera settings, the schedule and so on..

But you cannot set up everything via NVR, most of the camera settings are missing. E.g. You can not set Min and Max object sizes (Intrusion settings). I'm also messing around with this, since NVR is keep reseting all Camera settings, the schedule and so on..
You'd might be better starting another thread possibly as this is something separate (basic setup) but if you have a search through my previous posts you'll find this discussed previously as it comes up quite frequently. Best practice is to set up via the NVR all options available and only alter items directly on the camera if they're not available in the NVR (some image settings, advanced alarm features etc). What is available in the NVR will depend on model and firmware. For example min and max are available on the I series with version 4 but not on a K series with version 3. Schedule is always set via the NVR when the NVR is the recording device.

I don't understand how the setting syncing works, as when I went directly in the NVR the intrustion and line crossing marks appear in the camera settings in the NVR the theshold, sensitivy and percentage were out. Does it sync the settings when the camera is rebooted?
To clarify you don't set it IN the NVR you set it VIA the NVR (same but different!). Most camera settings (image, resolution, basic events, smart events) are saved in the camera itself even though they are set via the NVR. Setting via the NVR ensures that the menus are in sync. If you set something in the camera (that could've been set via the NVR) the NVR will show out of date information for that setting. Rebooting the NVR will read the settings from the cameras when it reconnects and bring them up to date. It's just easier to avoid this possible mismatch by setting via the NVR menu or webpage.

However, I have tried what you suggested and set the storage schedule directly in the NVR and I still get no record file found in iVMS.
Just tried it on mine. Use the remote playback function in iVMS.

Remote Playback. Select camera, set date on calendar then search. The scheduled recording files will be listed in a panel on the right side of the screen and the video will begin playing. Above the timeline on the playback toolbar you'll see the below icons:

View attachment 5084

Click the left hand one which is event playback. The panel on the right which previously showed normal recording will now update to show the events.

I think I may have found the issue with smart events, the Arming Schedules in the NVR aren't being updated from the cameras, and they are not updating manually through the NVR.

I've tried in IE and Chrome and I can't select the days to arm the smart events in the NVR GUI. The 'Copy to' pop up appears but pressing OK the days all still remain white.

Editing the schedule in camera isn't updating the arming schedule in the NVR, or it is, but I can't see it as the day chart isn't working.

The schedule is working fine for the basic events though, and the triggers are working for the smart events and the events are appearing in iVMS but no record files are being generated.

I'm assuming this is a bug, is there any way around it?

*Edit: Sorry I hadn't seen your additonal clarification when I wrote the below*
Also, I've ran some tests and configuration changes directly in camera are synced immediately to iVMS but only to the NVR when the camera is rebooted.

I'm not aware of any bugs that would cause what you describe. Only occasionally have I seen a setting entered in the NVR not actioned on the camera. You mentioned that your cameras are connected to the NVR via a switch rather than directly connected - it's feasible that if somethings amiss with your network setup in the camera/connection settings in the NVR that commands are going astray.

I can only reiterate that it's best to carry out setup via the NVR to avoid issues. Once you get to a point where you've altered settings in the NVR, then in the camera and also via iVMS it's possible to get in such a mess that it's easier to default things and start from scratch setting it up via the NVR. A standard setup for both normal and smart events can be achieved using the NVR without ever accessing the camera menu directly.

I wouldn't bother to use iVMS at all, don't even open it, until you can see that everything is working and recording as it should using the locally connected monitor and NVR menu for playback etc.

Edit: Just noticed in one of your previous screenshots that you're setting the storage schedule for events only - is that the way you want it? I'd normally set that record schedule as 24/7 normal recording. The schedule for the events themselves can be setup separately.

Hi, thanks for your assistance here. I've just realised that I'm actually having the same issue with the standard events, not just smart events. I've taken a video of it to share, this is using Internet Explorer in Win10, it doesn't work in Chrome either.

I normally have my main entry cameras on full time recording, but the others of event only. I've only got a 4TB drive with 7 cameras and worried about storage over times I'm on holiday.

The same time selection functionality works fine under storage settings, and also directly in the camera settings, it's just under events in the NVR interface. As far as I'm aware there are no updates from the firmware I'm using.

Attachments

I'm struggling a bit to see what you're trying to show with the video. You make changes to the schedule but at no point do you ever use the Save key. As such once you change page or tab, those changes are usually lost. I can see that the schedule doesn't update when clicking OK and that could just be a browser issue. If you can just use the local menu on the NVR rather than a browser to take that out of the equation.

Last edited:
Sorry it wasn't clear.

The first screen I'm on the basic event settings page, this shows that the arming schedule has previously been set, all in purple.

I can then correclty unset the days, but I can't reset them. That's why I don't press save.

I then go to the smart event settings screen which is all blank on the schedule, and after selecting the days and pressing ok, the days don't update. They should turn purple on pressing ok.

Sorry it wasn't clear.

The first screen I'm on the basic event settings page, this shows that the arming schedule has previously been set, all in purple.

I can then correclty unset the days, but I can't reset them. That's why I don't press save.

I then go to the smart event settings screen which is all blank on the schedule, and after selecting the days and pressing ok, the days don't update. They should turn purple on pressing ok.
Understood - I think that is just a browser issue however. I can only suggest another browser. I always used to prefer Firefox.

This is why I think it's a bug, I've tried in Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. I'm wrong though, I'm getting the same issue direct on the camera and under storage settings, I thought this was working. I've also tried on my work laptop and same issue, I will have to try another computer just in case. Think the only computers I have access to though are all Windows 10 x64.

Last edited:
This is why I think it's a bug, I've tried in Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. I'm wrong though, I'm getting the same issue direct on the camera and under storage settings, I thought this was working. I've also tried on my work laptop and same issue, I will have to try another computer just in case. Think the only computers I have access to though are all Windows 10 x64.
Will report back in 5 mins...I'm logged into an E2 with 3.4.103 now....

Will report back in 5 mins...I'm logged into an E2 with 3.4.103 now....
Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 09.57.57.png

Ok so I've just checked it - I have the same model and firmware installed at my brothers house. I'm a Mac user. When attempting to amend and copy a schedule:

- Safari - works fine, updates immediately
- IE (via Parallels VM Win 7 Pro 64 bit) - works fine, updates immediately
- neither Chrome or Firefox will even display a login page for the NVR on mine.

For IE do you have the plugin installed and if so what version? When logged into the NVR in IE go to Tools > Manage Add Ons and you should see WebVideoActiveX Control - mine is version 3.0.7.31. If you don't have the plugin - download and install it (first close IE)

I also tried my wife's laptop same issue, but same operating system.

I had a look at IE and I have the WebVideoActiveX Control installed, I thought this was to be able to view the live feed. IE is the only browser I can view the feed in.

1612523529302.png

Yeah the plug-in is for display of the live feed. Not sure whether it affects anything else. There’s nothing to lose by updating it to the newer version though. From my test on the same NVR with the same firmware we can see that it’s not a firmware issue.

Back