01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Line crossing help

Sonic007

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I’m trying to get line crossing detection working as drawing squares on motion detection gives too many false notifications.
So I’ve gone into the cameras page, smart events and trying to set it up.
I’ve drawn the line and angled it so it covers my conservatory doors and then selected the direction.
What I don’t get is the min and max size.
I drew a box the size of a mouse and then one the size of an adult and clicked save.
Ticked the enable notifications security centre. Checked schedule is 24/7.
Clicked save.
Nothing is being picked up.
Any ideas?
Thankyou.

I’m trying to get line crossing detection working as drawing squares on motion detection gives too many false notifications.
So I’ve gone into the cameras page, smart events and trying to set it up.
I’ve drawn the line and angled it so it covers my conservatory doors and then selected the direction.
What I don’t get is the min and max size.
I drew a box the size of a mouse and then one the size of an adult and clicked save.
Ticked the enable notifications security centre. Checked schedule is 24/7.
Clicked save.
Nothing is being picked up.
Any ideas?
Thankyou.

The sizes aren't too accurate. If you were to view the stream in a web browser with the rules enabled, you'd see that when an object moves through the scene, the frame that appears around it as it's detected changes size and shape, sometimes looking far larger than the object. To that end your max size should be bigger than an adult when the adult is stood close to the camera - the camera perspective means that the same adult will be far smaller when further away from the camera.

1. Delete the minimum and maximum boxes to start with - they can be added once the alarm is actually working
  2. Move the line away from the edge of the screen. I appreciate that that may be where your door is, but in order for line crossing to work correctly, set it further away from the door but still parallel with it.
  3. Line crossing works best when the line is set nearer vertical on screen so that the target is moving across it in a left to right/right to left manner. It doesn't work so well if the line is horizontal with the target moving toward/away from the camera as the target is increasing/decreasing in size from the perspective of the camera. That's not to say it won't work - it just won't work as well.
  4. When you say "nothing is being picked up". First prove the alarm works locally. Set your action as "full screen monitoring" or "audible" and confirm that it triggers on screen before worrying about notifications.
Depending on the camera view and regarding point 3 above, you may find intrusion detection provides better results. A bit of trial and error is required to find what works best for you.

Wrong setting on the max box. If it's set to "adult size" then that's why it's not being picked up. The max box means anything *larger* than this box will not be picked up. Draw it the whole size of the screen.

Thankyou both for your help. Much appreciated.
It looks like the issue is more than this in the end as I’ve tried even the basic motion detection event and that isn’t being picked up.

I can’t remember what I did when I setup my other cameras as they are all picking up events fine and I get the notification to HikConnect app.

I’m just wondering if I’ve missed something with this camera.

thanks again. Happy Christmas!

What model of camera is the problem one and what model NVR and firmware is it connected to? It may be that the settings programmed via the NVR are not being actioned and set on the camera, which can easily be checked. It would be very unusual for it to be a fault - a few firmware issues aside they're very reliable.

Just a little update:

I completely forgot to power cycle the NVR so that it would pick up the settings that had been changed in the camera. I should have remembered! Doh!
All working perfectly now.

Back