01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Looking for new cameras

tannerdotq

Current DVR: IDS-7204HQHI-K1/2S(B)

Hi everyone,

I currently have 4 cameras installed (not sure which cameras they are) on my DVR, but are really blurry and bad quality at night. I believe they are 2MP.

I am looking to install 2 new, high quality, high definition and night vision clear cameras. They must be able to detect faces at night, with good image. They must be compatible with my DVR. Can anyone point me in the right direction on which cameras to buy?

My budget is under £60, thanks

What model number are the current cameras as this will dictate if there's any better HDTVI cameras suitable for your DVR (though you could add IP cameras to it)? The camera model will only be available on the label of the camera for your system.

"They must be able to detect faces at night" - You're going to struggle with that unless the camera is set with a viewing angle that has the face occupying a sufficiently large area of the screen. In that respect wide angle cameras won't get what you want unless the person is standing in front of the camera such as at your door.

You mention that they are blurry at night. This is a trait of HDTVI cameras unfortunately. All modern cameras allow the shutter speed to drop to 1/12 second in order to maximise the light reaching the sensor to provide an image. To prevent motion blur (for objects at walking speed) that minimum shutter speed needs to be increased to at least 1/50 second but it's not possible to do so on HDTVI cameras - they don't allow the setting to be altered in the menu.

Unfortunately you wouldn't get a decent HDTVI vari-focal camera within your budget (I speak as an installer who gets trade pricing)

What model number are the current cameras as this will dictate if there's any better HDTVI cameras suitable for your DVR (though you could add IP cameras to it)? The camera model will only be available on the label of the camera for your system.

"They must be able to detect faces at night" - You're going to struggle with that unless the camera is set with a viewing angle that has the face occupying a sufficiently large area of the screen. In that respect wide angle cameras won't get what you want unless the person is standing in front of the camera such as at your door.

You mention that they are blurry at night. This is a trait of HDTVI cameras unfortunately. All modern cameras allow the shutter speed to drop to 1/12 second in order to maximise the light reaching the sensor to provide an image. To prevent motion blur (for objects at walking speed) that minimum shutter speed needs to be increased to at least 1/50 second but it's not possible to do so on HDTVI cameras - they don't allow the setting to be altered in the menu.

Unfortunately you wouldn't get a decent HDTVI vari-focal camera within your budget (I speak as an installer who gets trade pricing)
Hi JB thanks for replying pal

It says my DVR is
  • Connectable to HD-TVI, AHD, IP, CVI & analogue cameras
Do you have any reccomendations in my budget?

Cheers

Hi JB thanks for replying pal

It says my DVR is
  • Connectable to HD-TVI, AHD, IP, CVI & analogue cameras
Do you have any reccomendations in my budget?

Cheers
Not really I'm afraid. Your DVR takes HD-TVI cameras natively. As such on those you'll be restricted to 2MP cameras. If you look on the Hikvision website you'll find some of the 2 megapixel models designated "ultra low light" - I've had reasonable results with those and you'll get the standard fixed lens versions within your budget but you would be better to get the 2.8-12mm motorised lens model and set it up with a narrower field of view as opposed to the 90 degree plus ultra wide angles of the 2.8mm fixed lens models. Those will certainly be more than £60 retail. As I've mentioned previously you can't alter the shutter speed on them so your only hope is that if you introduce more light into the scene, the camera will use a slightly faster speed that reduces the motion blur. The cameras that your DVR can accept are detailed in the attached table.

For IP cameras, you'll find nothing in that budget new. You may find something used on eBay. When I update IP cameras of my own and others, I've sold them there and generally get around £40 for a 2 or 3MP DarkFighter turret (DS-2CD2325FWD-I). While these themselves are an older model they are still far superior in terms of build quality, image quality and range of adjustments to a HDTVI camera. While you can add IP cameras to your HDTVI DVR - you would not necessarily get all of the functionality of it.

When it comes to CCTV technology although it is more expensive, I always recommend that people "use IP." Pardon the pun.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 13.17.42.png

Not really I'm afraid. Your DVR takes HD-TVI cameras natively. As such on those you'll be restricted to 2MP cameras. If you look on the Hikvision website you'll find some of the 2 megapixel models designated "ultra low light" - I've had reasonable results with those and you'll get the standard fixed lens versions within your budget but you would be better to get the 2.8-12mm motorised lens model and set it up with a narrower field of view as opposed to the 90 degree plus ultra wide angles of the 2.8mm fixed lens models. Those will certainly be more than £60 retail. As I've mentioned previously you can't alter the shutter speed on them so your only hope is that if you introduce more light into the scene, the camera will use a slightly faster speed that reduces the motion blur. The cameras that your DVR can accept are detailed in the attached table.

For IP cameras, you'll find nothing in that budget new. You may find something used on eBay. When I update IP cameras of my own and others, I've sold them there and generally get around £40 for a 2 or 3MP DarkFighter turret (DS-2CD2325FWD-I). While these themselves are an older model they are still far superior in terms of build quality, image quality and range of adjustments to a HDTVI camera. While you can add IP cameras to your HDTVI DVR - you would not necessarily get all of the functionality of it.

When it comes to CCTV technology although it is more expensive, I always recommend that people "use IP." Pardon the pun.

View attachment 4862
Hi,

I very much appreciate the response again.

What is the most suitable pixel for outdoors with clear recognition at night, and what type of camera should I be using for outdoors?

Also on the table, am I able to accept a AHD, CVI, or a TVI on 4mp or 3mp camera?

Thanks

Hi,

I very much appreciate the response again.

What is the most suitable pixel for outdoors with clear recognition at night, and what type of camera should I be using for outdoors?

Also on the table, am I able to accept a AHD, CVI, or a TVI on 4mp or 3mp camera?

Thanks
Have a look on the web for DORI and you'll find a chart. DORI is Detect, Observe, Recognise, Identify. It specifies how many pixels in height that a target would need to occupy on screen to meet the criteria.

I'd stick with HDTVI or IP and stick with Hikvision. Turrets are better than domes outdoors. The most suitable in terms of megapixels at night is not a question that is answerable, as every scene is different with regard to field of view and available light etc.

I'd say that if you're hoping to add a camera (any camera) with a wide angle that covers the whole area and allows you to identify someone at night, you'll be disappointed - the target will not have sufficient pixel density (at the distance) to resolve the detail (see DORI).

The table shows that you could have 1 IP cam up to 6MP.

View attachment 4862
I cant find the selected IP camera

Any alternatives?

Back