01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mac address filtering works like a charm

fullboogie

Expert
Trusted Member
The latest firmware for the I-series NVR's is V4.21.000 build 190423, with an interesting new security feature that allows IP/mac address blacklists or whitelists. I experimented with a mac address whitelist allowing only my laptop and cell phone access today. Well it certainly works as intended, because every other device I attempted to use was rejected access by my NVR. I'm liking this new feature! Just thought I'd pass this on for those looking to experiment with a new security feature.

I tried it and blocked my access to it, had to login on the nvr and delete it. Must of done it wrong, I will try again later today.

Just tried this again, added my phone and laptop in the allowed section. saved it then boom, this site cant be reached on both devices.
am I doing something wrong? do I need to do this on the nvr for it to work correctly? or do I need to reboot it for it to take affect?
the nvr is at another property so now I need to go there to fix it again... ahhh... technology... it really tests my patience lol

ok so I just remotely logged into a laptop that was on site, all devices I have added onto the allowed list for mac filtering can access the nvr when on the same network. I however can not access the nvr as im not on the same network.

fullboogie: can you access your nvr when your not on your network, can you go on your data and not wifi on your mobile phone and still access it? I dont have hik-connect enabled so I manually input the ip address into the hikvision app.

Paul, I've not tried that. I only ever need access to my NVR while at home, as I use Hik Connect for remote viewing outside the home. I would image that you don't have the right IP address for remote viewing.

I definitely have the correct ip address. I can access it with the mac filtering off but as soon as I activate it I can not out of the network. Very strange.

Your device MAC address will not travel over the internet so MAC filtering will only work on the LAN. IP filtering will work over the internet, this would be the external IP address of the site you wish to connect from not a private/LAN IP. You would need a static IP from your ISP.

I understand what your saying digilec but if im out and want to connect with my phone, as my phone ip address always changes (with EE) this isnt possible to inpot the ip address in the filtering section. This is why I thought mac filtering would suit for added security. The site does have a static ip address.

Oh, so mac filtering is pretty much useless as a security measure then? I guess I don't really understand this stuff like I should.

it certainly looks that way, I was hoping to add several mac addresses that could only connect from within and externally to the nvr. seems its only for internal filtering and when activated it blocks all external access unless accessed via hik-connect although, I havent checked if hik-connect works if this is switched on as im not suing hik-connect currently.

Paul, that would be my question - and that's what I assumed mac filtering accomplished. I thought that when I engaged mac filtering, it would only allow access to my NVR from my two devices on my LAN, to the exclusion of all other access. Now I guess I'm not so sure it works that way. I wonder if the mac filtering only filters on my LAN but has no effect on access from the internet. As usual, Hikvision's description of this feature is rudimentary.

To your last point, the Hik Connect app works just fine outside the LAN when I'm away from home.

Back