01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Magic Mouse rant

macman

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
Why, oh why, did Hikvision obviously not test iVMS-4200 using a bluetooth Magic Mouse? The software jumps around like a demented chicken whenever and wherever the mouse scrolls. It's near impossible to hit the required tab - and 100% impossible to use the eMap function as the map scales down to uselessness every time the mouse cursor moves. Surely there are some other sufferers out there? This is a popular and expensive Apple mouse which works just fine in every other software application; but not in iVMS-4200 v2.0.0.12 build 20200423 (latest) or any previous version.

Is it incompetence (unlikely) or simply negligence (Mac users aren't worth worrying about)? Why distribute a recent Mac update which simply carries forward all the horrors of the previous versions?
Magic Mouse.png

Hi @macman

I use a magic mouse with my office Mac every day and I don't see this level of erratic behaviour when I'm in the same version of Mac iVMS-4200. It is an old mouse (from 2015/came with the mac) but does appear to be a v2 mouse, also I do come from a PC background so may interact with the mouse differently to regular Mac users.

When I have my hand over the mouse and 2 fingers on the left & right side of the clicker I don't see any problems clicking between the menus and I don't see any zooming/scaling issues on the E-map when moving the cursor around. (unless I very deliberately scroll my finger up & down the mouse)

I've attached my current mouse settings for you to see how they compare as the magic mouse does support some unique features which if you have them enabled may be what is causing the issue.

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 09.31.19.png
Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 09.31.28.png

@macman I suspect Hikvision see no revenue in the MacOS market and invest the absolute minimum. Even with Windows I get the sense that the App development teams do not collaborate with the camera designers. Admittedly some of my cameras are elderly R0 R6 (EOL) but the G0 G1 ones show poor design on the various Windows App platforms. Rant over, back to my coffee.....

Thanks @Dan. I have nothing enabled on page 2 but I do use the Smart Zoom function on page 1 as I often need to zoom in on my 27in 5k iMac. Disabling Smart Zoom didn't improve the tab behaviour but did make the eMap less prone to downsizing unilaterally.

I do have my tracking speed maxed out, otherwise it takes all day to get from east to west.

If you don't see this erratic tab-switching at all then I will have to look at possible conflicts. I do use a mouse supercharging utility called BetterTouchTool (primarily to give me even faster cursor speed) and I'll test with it disabled - albeit it's an essential utility for me.

The iVMS issue seems to be that mouseover is being wrongly interpreted as mousedown hence I get alarming sequences of tabs opening and closing when I haven't actually clicked on any of them.

Thanks a lot for checking/testing.

@David, don't get me started. I see that iVMS-4200 download is finally now flagged up as not supporting video intercom controls - which was not the case when I last downloaded it and bought the Gen2 video intercom. To be fair, the video intercom is almost useless on all platforms but Windows iVMS does at least allow you to open and close the bloody gate.

Back