01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Most reliable event trigger type during night?

Ray Arts

Hi all,

I've tried numerous ways to have reliable event triggering at night.
The point is that around midnight, my smart event triggers are not registering anything.

I tried Intrusion detection as this is my favorite detection mechanism with all of the options (sensitivity high up ; human/vehicle enable/disable) etc.
I also tried good old Line Crossing detection and they fail to register an event as well.
I tried configuring events through camera settings and through NVR, nothing seems to resolve the issue.
I did reset one of the camera's to flush any wrong configured parameter.

During daytime, all events are working flawlessly.
I thought the limited lighting at night must be the issue but when replaying the recording, the lighting is fairly reasonable and I use the supporting light feature from the camera's.

NVR: DS-7808NI-I2
Camera's: DS-2CD2387G2-LU
All firmware up to date.

What would be the next action plan?

All firmware up to date.
I don't think it's necessarily a firmware issue but always post the versions to prove that they are up to date. Sometimes versions are released in quick succession...Up to date for a very short time

Can you see if there is target detection at night? The green rectagle that surrounds the target.

I don't have "Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion" activated as this belongs to Motion Detection, not Line Crossing detection.
Or am I missing something here.

I don't have "Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion" activated as this belongs to Motion Detection, not Line Crossing detection.
Or am I missing something here.
In your Hik-Connect app - Me > Settings > Display VCA Rule. The overlays will allow you to see what's happening while you wander around in your detection area.

Green target in rectangle is detection and tracking.
Red line or region(area) and red target rectangle is an alarm as set in your Configuration.

(sensitivity high up ;
If there is no detection at all, unfortunately there is no real Sensitivity adjustment for detection and tracking(possibly hidden in an advanced menu, but not for us) on Smart Events.
The so called Sensitivity, is about percentage of target entering your region or crossing the line so that to give an alarm. 90 means that 10% of target size has crossed the line or entered the region.

Attachments

• detectandalarm.png
    detectandalarm.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 59
Hi Ray did you have any joy with this? I have the same thing happening - or rather, everything works fine for a period of time and then one day without warning suddenly it stops working and nothing is getting captured and i only know this when I see there are no events for a particular camera on a particular day when I look at it. To get it to start working again is then major trial and error, consisting of rebooting camera, NVR, sometimes factory reset camera and re set it all up again but not ideal to say the least and makes me lose faith in the tech/company to be honest. I also dont have remote access to do config changes as dont want to be opening up ports etc to be able to do so, and if it suddenly stops working when i'm away from home then there's nothing i can do until i get home. When i first invested in Hik gear you had support and now that is only available to installers etc and not end consumers - anybody know of a company in the Cheshire area that offer management of your Hik cameras by any chance, where they didnt do the install themselves to help out all us self installers who have now been left high and dry!? [besides the helpful staff on here of course]

Hi @timearnshaw
This is an ongoing issue I have mentioned many times in the past and this concerns only Smart VCA Events detection and VCA marking on recorded timeline when searching by Rules on NVR.
There are two kinds of non-working.
  • One is the no Detection at all or a detection that does not work a specific moment, but a few minutes later this works OK, a few minutes later it does not work OK etc. I also see this issue almost every morning and mostly on close to camera targets. This seems to be a camera issue, possibly G5 platform only, where a no Green rectangle(box) appears covering a target Human or not. As a result, there is no Alarm and no VCA record(if using NVR). Whatever the sensitivity is set to or whatever the target size is set to. This definitely is a camera firmware issue and the reason I say this is that the same target is detected as Motion event at very low sensitivity(20 or 40).
  • The other "no Detection" issue corcerns the combination of this camera and an NVR that records VCA detections. The target is detected, observed, recognised, then gives an Alarm depending on your sensitivity and area region settings, this is recorded as Event, you can find this when using the NVR option of Search - Events(not Playback), you can see this on the Home Screen of the NVR as one of the last 100 Human or Vehicle events, but you cannot find this when searching by Rules. This means that for some reason, Camera problem or NVR problem, this detection is not recorded as VCA detection. Of course this is not a real problem if the Area or target size is out of your interest since the Event is Recorded as Event and you are used to Search Events. But if you are used to perform Playback and the Rule search with larger screen image and faster searching, then this could be a problem.
The most secure and most reliable way I believe, is the Motion Detection.
Another thing that I would like to mention is that when performed a one week testing of ColorVu G5 inside my house, the no Detection at all, never happened.
They must fix.

Thanks Alfaclvi for the detailed response. I did some investigations last night and found some things out that may be useful for somebody else so sharing here.

Firstly, the way i use my system is that i very rarely login to it via a computer, rather i use HikConnect on my phone almost exclusively. This is key as i'll explain.

So last night having set up Hikconnect to show me onscreen where movement was detected and recording triggered (the green/red boxes showing on screen), i walked around in front of the various cameras while looking at the camera feed on Hikconnect to see where i got alerts on my phone of intrusion detection. All cameras were showing the correct detection of my movement in front of them when i entered the detection zone, but i wasn't receiving any event messages in HIkConnect for that camera which left me confused, and it was the same with all of them even though they had all appeared to be working as expected during the daytime and had all generated numerous event messages during daytime.

When I went back inside scratching my head and logged on via a laptop to check the config, i thought to check the recordings and all my movements HAD been detected and recorded as expected but weren't showing up in HikConnect as events that had been captured for me to review. So good news in that in my case at least it IS working and recording even though i thought it wasn't and it's some sort of issue with HikConnect.

Further investigation followed and around midnight it occured to me that maybe it was something to do with my phone (Galaxy S21 on Android 14), and i noticed i had do not disturb settings configured to stop my phone pecking me through the night and had a thought this may be affecting event alerts on my phone so i turned it off and did a bit more testing and suddenly i WAS getting event alerts in Hikconnect on my phone! Baddabing. It was late so i didnt go round all the cameras outside again but will do that tonight and report back but its looking promising and in my case at least, seems like it was an issue with how i was assuming the system was working due to relying on Hikconnect, and the resolution was to switch off Do Not Disturb on the phone. Worth sharing i thought and sorry to hear that your issue is a bit different Alfaclvi.

Back