01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Moved into new house with existing cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

James_123

Hi all,

We recently moved into a property that has hikvision cameras installed outside. We have no other equipment or knowledge of how they operate etc. So I'm after some advice as to how we may be able to get them operational again (following a number of burglaries on our road!).

Steps taken so far:

I have downloaded SADP = no devices listed in there
I have put the IP 192.168.1.64 into my web browser = didn't send any data
I have downloaded iVMS 4200, created an account and logged in = nothing listed anywhere in the App
I have investigated what the camera appears to be connected / wired to = Photo's attached

Any help appreciated. If I have to bin them off and start again so be it.

Many thanks in advance.

James.
CAM1.jpg
CAM2.jpg
CAM3.jpg

They are analogue cameras (would normally be connected to a DVR via co-ax cables).
They have been installed with the baluns attached to allow the use of twisted-pair cable instead of co-ax.
Can you see any model numbers on the cameras?
The model number will inform us of their age/features etc.
There is a second connector, a DC barrel plug for the power supply, was there anything plugged-in to that connector at each camera?
Have you located where they are cabled back to indoors?
No DVR there currently?

Thanks for replying Phil. I can confirm no DVR box here currently.

I cannot locate where they are cabled back to indoors, I have searched! Possibly the coax arial socket/s? (we did find it strange those sockets don't appear to present a television signal when we moved in). I do recall seeing some coax cabling and connector boxes up in the loft, I just assumed they were for the Television signal but maybe not.

The 2nd connector wasn't connected to anything else (I've had a look behind the 2nd camera as well just to be sure). The only thing connected to anything in either of the 21 cameras is the baluns.

Model number is: DS-2CE56D8T-ITME
SN: D48821312

Photo attached.

CAM4.jpg

Here's the product page for the cameras:
DS-2CE56D8T-ITME

The PoC on the label is for Power over Co-ax, so the power is using the same pair of wires via the balun as the video signal.

Is there any sign that any of them are actually receiving power?
e.g. do you see the red glow of their IR LEDs at night?

It would certainly be worth clambering into the loft again and sharing photos of anything you can find up there.
It's fairly common to wire the cameras to a recorder into the loft.
If you have 21 cameras, then it'd result in a fair bundle of cables arriving at some central point!

2MP (2 MegaPixels) isn't exactly latest & greatest, but with 21 cameras then each is probably positioned closely to its area of interest and it'd certainly be worth seeing if you can get them working first - then take a view on whether it meets your expectations.

Here's the product page for the cameras:
DS-2CE56D8T-ITME

The PoC on the label is for Power over Co-ax, so the power is using the same pair of wires via the balun as the video signal.

Is there any sign that any of them are actually receiving power?
e.g. do you see the red glow of their IR LEDs at night?

It would certainly be worth clambering into the loft again and sharing photos of anything you can find up there.
It's fairly common to wire the cameras to a recorder into the loft.
If you have 21 cameras, then it'd result in a fair bundle of cables arriving at some central point!

2MP (2 MegaPixels) isn't exactly latest & greatest, but with 21 cameras then each is probably positioned closely to its area of interest and it'd certainly be worth seeing if you can get them working first - then take a view on whether it meets your expectations.

Apologies there are 2 cameras, not 21 - typo! That makes sense and thank you so much for the info. I certainly know more now than I did before.

I'll go up into the loft and take a look and share any photo's of what I find.

There was a DVR box, the previous occupants took it. If I were to continue with these cameras I would therefore need one. I may just consider a new system.

Two is more typical than 21 - I thought your house must be huge! :)

Yes, if you only have two cameras to worry about as a legacy then it is much simpler to move on to a new system.

As the name suggests (use-IP) we are all about IP / network cameras, and as the previous installer used network cable to each camera then you are well-placed to move to latest tech 4K cameras if you wish (assuming you can find the other end of the cables :) ).

Bingo! Having been in the loft I can confirm it's nothing to do with the loft :)

As can be seen in the photo below I found these wires in our utility room. 100% these are the 2 wires that connect to the cameras.

I've been having a look on your website at what might be available in order to get us operational. If I could ask for some more advice though please, would you suggest just buying a DVR box and connecting up the existing cameras? Or are there other, more modern, options available to us (utilising the existing wiring)? Any advice welcomed and given how helpful you've been I would be more than happy to purchase the recommended solution from your web site.

Many thanks.

CAM5.jpg

Sorry to thread-jack …. But will coax cameras work ok wired into balons and then through a cat5 to a NVR box ?

Sorry to thread-jack …. But will coax cameras work ok wired into balons and then through a cat5 to a NVR box ?
Hello, I don’t think anyones suggested that. It would either be a complete new solution (with new cameras) utilising the existing cabling (minus the balons) or simply a replacement box to utilise the existing cameras and cabling setup (with balons)
Unless I’ve missed something

Hello, I don’t think anyones suggested that. It would either be a complete new solution (with new cameras) utilising the existing cabling (minus the balons) or simply a replacement box to utilise the existing cameras and cabling setup (with balons)
Unless I’ve missed something
I was merely asking whether it would work , as that’s what the op has got in their photo .

I was merely asking whether it would work , as that’s what the op has got in their photo .
It's not our area of expertise, because we only work with IP cameras.
It has always been possible to use baluns to convert from co-ax and use cat5 / twisted-pair cable instead.
This is popular because:
  • It does away with the need / skills / tools required to terminate co-ax cables and plugs well (doing it badly can cause all manner of signal & image problems).
  • But also, one camera signal travels over one twisted pair. So, with a multi-pair cable you can get many analogue camera video signals transmitted via a single cable.
  • With the right gadgets you can send analogue video over great distances via twisted-pairs (and the cable is relatively inexpensive).

I was surprised to see that there was no secondary connection to the OP's cameras.
We have to assume that it worked, and that the power that would have been PoC from his DVR to the cameras went via the baluns successfully.
Others, who work with analogue cameras, will be able to confirm better than I.
Interesting, if true.

Hi, yes it's CAT5 Network cable, photo below...

That's handy, as it means that you have all the options open to you now i.e. you can solve with analogue cameras and buy a new DVR to suit OR install network cameras and an NVR.

Latest and greatest would probably be a new Hikvision M-series NVR (+HDD) and a couple of 8MP/4K Accusense turret cameras.
It would be wise to check your camera positions / views you seek to cover / suitability of cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back