01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

My Hikvision cameras went offline a few weeks ago following an ISP & router change?

pokhim

Hi,

First post here, i'm at my wits end trying to sort this out. My cameras went offline a few weeks ago, i believe it was when the router and my internet was update to a new provider. Can you please assist me in getting these back online so i can see them on the app? They are currently working on my TV which is where they're wired into through a NVR set up,

I don't really know where else to start with this.

Thanks
P

Hi,

First post here, i'm at my wits end trying to sort this out. My cameras went offline a few weeks ago, i believe it was when the router and my internet was update to a new provider. Can you please assist me in getting these back online so i can see them on the app? They are currently working on my TV which is where they're wired into through a NVR set up,

I don't really know where else to start with this.

Thanks
P

There are a few too many possibilities to go through, as without knowing exactly how the network was configured when the system was installed, it's not possible to say what needs to be changed. My first job in the morning is to visit someone who 'can't see the cameras on their phone anymore'. It's not one of my installations so I've no clues as to how it's set up/what's wrong until I get there and have a look at the customers phone app, network settings, physical connection and router. As an example the following affect the setup and what needs to be adjusted/carried out to get it working again:

• Original connection to app was either direct or via the Hik-Connect service
  • Static IP vs DHCP IP address on the NVR
  • Port forwarding in the old router or UPnP on the NVR to automatically (or manually) map the ports
  • Wired connection or WiFi adaptor?
The first thing to ask is who was your original internet provider and who is it now? If the NVR was set up properly with a static IP address in the network settings, it is most likely that they do not match those of your new providers router. For instance in the UK, by default:

Virgin Media - IP addresses 192.168.0.xxx, Gateway 192.168.0.1
BT - IP addresses 192.168.1.xxx Gateway 192.168.1.254

Without going into network masks all you need to know is that the first three segments of the IP address of your device need to match that of your router, and as can be seen in the above example Virgin and Sky (by default) use a different network range (BT unlike most providers use .254 for the gateway not .1)

As an example if I was originally using Virgin Media and changed to BT. My settings might be like this:

Existing IP 192.168.0.250 > change to 192.168.1.250
Existing Gateway 192.168.0.1 > change to 192.168.1.254

So on your NVR go into the menu on your TV and find the Network Settings page. You will be able to see whether the IP address is manually assigned (or whether the DHCP box is ticked) and what the IP address and gateway are set at currently.

Importantly is the NVR connected by cable to the router or using a wireless adaptor? Sometimes installers connect the NVR/DVR to a wireless extender. These extenders clone the WiFi name and password then repeat the signal as well as providing a wired connection for a device. When the router is changed, they're no longer connected....

Back