01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NAS status keeps reverting to uninitialized

Innerchaos

First i reference a thread i found here on this forum that touches on this subject but this person changed NAS drives to ssd ( not an option for me )

I’ve asked the same question on another forum with no luck as of yet

I have tried over and again on two different Cameras and they both act the same..
What I am attempting to achieve is for my Camera to record directly to a NAS ( Buffalo Linkstation 210 ) as I dont want to run a dvr or the IVMS software suite on my PC 7/24
I setup my NAS as SMB but it is open to even anonymous W/R access
I configure the Camera's Storage management NET HDD with my login parameters and test successfully.
I then Format the HDD using the Camera's HDD Management tab.
it seems to succeed and for awhile it is online and in NORMAL state
if I log out and back in again it seems to change back to Uninitialized.
I have a youtube video if you would like to see... It shows the NAS on the left and the cameras webpage on the right
NAS Status wont stay Initialized Video Link

Any help would be appreciated

I have resolved this dilemma. the instructions and even instructional video says to create a shared folder for the camera on the NAS

Well the solution for me was to create a separate volume on the NAS just for the camera. the Buffalo LS210 does not have this feature but I do have access to a TS3220 so I created a volume on that NAS and Voilà! it worked..

I took it a step further and backed up the LS210 and reformatted it for the sole use of the camera and it works, but I don't need that much space for one camera.

It appears the software needs to have access to the entire drive at once.

so for me anyways it appears that the NAS should support LVM or some other partitioning software and each camera would need its own volume on that NAS not just a shared folder.

From the Cameras point of view it has a dedicated drive just for its sole purpose.

Attached image shows the result, HDD no.9 is a shared folder just for the camera and HDD no.10 is a separate volume for the camera.

My conclusion is it can be done with a NAS however with the cost of Micro-SD cards coming down so low it is so much cheaper to buy a 128G Micro SD for 20 dollars for each camera and call it good.

I hope this info helps someone else in their future endeavors

Attachments

• separate volume versus shared folder.JPG
    separate volume versus shared folder.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 649
I had this same problem and found the same thing. If you just share a folder that's on a volume containing other data, the format will either fail or show "Normal" state for a few minutes before going back to "Uninitialized".

I use TrueNAS so the solution for me was to create a separate ZFS dataset for each camera and then create a Samba share to the root of that dataset. Note you will need to set a fixed quota size for the dataset so that the available space is not affected by other data in the ZFS pool. Once you do this, the camera should be able to format the network drive correctly.

1648305748473.png

Set a fixed quota in Dataset Options as follows (1.5TB in my case)

1648305881546.png

Hope that helps!

Back