01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New 200 camera IP CCTV system - advice needed

Artisan Electrical

I am looking for some advice on the best way to install, manage and record a CCTV system consisting of 200 IP cameras.
I am familiar with IP camera systems, but not on this scale.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

A 200 camera system is definitely a daunting undertaking.

Typically you'd need multiple recording servers organised geographically if there are multiple buildings. A recorder in each building to manage the cameras attached to it with a centralised server to manage them all, as a recorder can only handle a finite number of cameras.

An alternative is a server running Milestone software or a similar VMS, but the licensing price will be massive for a 200 camera system, particularly because Milestone licenses require an annual renewal fee.

You'll have to keep in mind the existing network, as 200 cameras are going to use a large amount of bandwidth. The standard resolution right now is 3MP but currently 4MP variants are superceding them, and these cameras use about 4-10Mbps each. The total quickly racks up.

Did you have any ideas in mind already?

Thanks for your reply.
It is one school building.
I was planning on running all the cameras back to one central bank of switches.
I just wasn't sure what the best way to record and manage all the cameras from that point would be.
I was hoping I could connect a hard drive bank for recordings, and have the cameras managed via a remote computer somewhere in the school.
I don't think a annual license can be an option.
Can you think of a good way of the above working?

There are a few options you could use to record and manage the cameras.

Three 64 channel NVRs will allow you to record 192 cameras and manage both the NVRs and the cameras remotely via a PC connected on the same network. The Hikvision DS-9664NI-XT is an option to consider. You'll need to keep in mind the maximum incoming bandwidth of the NVRs and adjust the camera settings accordingly, however. Also keep in mind that many NVRs - the above included - don't come shipped with HDDs so they'd have to be sourced separately - we like to recommend the WD Purple series for surveillance.

Alternatively, you could use a server running a software solution, such as Luxriot's Enterprise package. These don't have an annual renewal fee, and this too could be managed remotely.

Lastly, you could consider a Synology rack NAS server. Synology have their own surveillance package called Surveillance Station which would allow you to record and manage the cameras remotely, as well as providing the benefits of a NAS on the network.

Back