01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

No video on hikvision camera?

bline86

Can anyone help, I have an intermittent no video issue on one of my 8 hikvision cameras?

I've unplugged and tried another camera which didn't fix the problem. I then plugged the original camera back in and it worked
However, after a few hours it went back to no video. It seems an intermittent issue and I'm struggling to resolve it.

On other occasions I get black and white images.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240530_104442.jpg
    20240530_104442.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240530_095605.jpg
    20240530_095605.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Unfortunately there's little information to go on. Firstly is this an IP system (NVR) or analogue HD system (DVR). It's easy to identify...How did you 'unplug' the camera? If it's an NVR/IP system you've unplugged a plastic RJ45 network connector, if it's a DVR/Analogue HD system you removed a coaxial cable by twisting and retracting the round BNC connector. My guess is you have a DVR.

If it's an analogue HD system connected to a DVR there are several possibilities:
  • Poor termination. The BNC is poorly fitted at one or both ends of the cable. Moisture may have got to the connector at the camera end. When this happens it creeps between the outer sheath and braid screen of the coax, corroding it and massively increasing its resistance until it fails completely. Here's an example of a poorly fitted BNC causing that issue (an electrician had fitted the connectors incorrectly using pliers and as usual muggins here is the one who has to tell the customer they were robbed by an amateur):
    IMG_3590.jpeg
  • Suspect power supply. Less likely as this would usually show as noise in the image that gets worse on a night when the infra red LEDs increase load on the supply.
  • Faulty camera. I've seen many failures of Hikvision analogue cameras over the last 10 years or so but only 1 or 2 IP cameras.
As you've indicated that you replaced the camera and the fault returned on that channel, it would indicate that the camera is not at fault. Start by swapping the connections of the channel at fault with another in the back of the DVR. If the 'No Video' fault moves to the new channel, it's likely to be a cable/termination fault. If the 'No Video' still occurs on the same channel (different camera connected) it could be an issue with the DVR itself.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there's little information to go on. Firstly is this an IP system (NVR) or analogue HD system (DVR). It's easy to identify...How did you 'unplug' the camera? If it's an NVR/IP system you've unplugged a plastic RJ45 network connector, if it's a DVR/Analogue HD system you removed a coaxial cable by twisting and retracting the round BNC connector. My guess is you have a DVR.

If it's an analogue HD system connected to a DVR there are several possibilities:
  • Poor termination. The BNC is poorly fitted at one or both ends of the cable. Moisture may have got to the connector at the camera end. When this happens it creeps between the outer sheath and braid screen of the coax, corroding it and massively increasing its resistance until it fails completely. Here's an example of a poorly fitted BNC causing that issue (an electrician had fitted the connectors incorrectly using pliers and as usual muggins here is the one who has to tell the customer they were robbed by an amateur):
    View attachment 11147
  • Suspect power supply. Less likely as this would usually show as noise in the image that gets worse on a night when the infra red LEDs increase load on the supply.
  • Faulty camera. I've seen many failures of Hikvision analogue cameras over the last 10 years or so but only 1 or 2 IP cameras.
As you've indicated that you replaced the camera and the fault returned on that channel, it would indicate that the camera is not at fault. Start by swapping the connections of the channel at fault with another in the back of the DVR. If the 'No Video' fault moves to the new channel, it's likely to be a cable/termination fault. If the 'No Video' still occurs on the same channel (different camera connected) it could be an issue with the DVR itself.
Hi JB, firstly thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've got 6 analogue and 2 ip cameras through DVR It's one of these cameras. I use a power supply and then one of these cables, see picture.

I will try and change the power output in the power supply to see if it resolves the fault.

Thanks

Attachments

• 17171428700164972693271552972645.jpg
    17171428700164972693271552972645.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Upvote 0
Hi JB, firstly thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've got 6 analogue and 2 ip cameras through DVR It's one of these cameras. I use a power supply and then one of these cables, see picture.

I will try and change the power output in the power supply to see if it resolves the fault.

Thanks
Ok so it's an analogue camera that's causing the issue. I see you're using video baluns to convert the coax to CAT5E cable...The most likely issue so do this before going any further:

Take out the two wires from the balun (make a note of the polarity) strip them back to the correct length and re insert them. Do that at both the DVR end and camera end of the link. If they're not stripped back far enough, they can appear to connected securely but the bare wires aren't making proper contact with the terminal in the balun.

Upvote 0
The issue has now moved onto another camera and it's gone black and white. Does anyone know what's causing it and the fix?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240606_082927_HiLook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240606_082927_HiLook.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0
How many camera power supplies are you using?
e.g. maybe just one supply for all the analogue cameras?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm using one power supply and then Baluns for each camera. 6 in total that are analogue.

I've added photos.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 20240606_124820.jpg
    20240606_124820.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240606_124826.jpg
    20240606_124826.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240606_124723.jpg
    20240606_124723.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 24
Upvote 0
If you haven't increased the number of cameras that your single PSU is powering, then perhaps it has degraded and is struggling.
You could test by disconnecting one or two cameras and seeing if all the others continue to work well, and whether issues return as you reconnect those.

As per @JB1970 comments above, cabling issues can also result in cameras not receiving sufficient power e.g. damage to the cables or corrosion, so it is worth checking / re-making the terminations also.

Upvote 0
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice, I will remove 2 of the ones that have always worked then monitor any change.

I suppose I could remove the power supply entirely and use a POE switch.

Thanks and have a good weekend

Upvote 0
I don't think you'll be able to use POE with your analogue cameras.
I assume that you have some separate power source for the two IP cameras, such as a POE switch?

Upvote 0
Oh right, so are there any alternative ways to power analogue cameras?

Yes the 2 IP cameras are operating via PoE switch

Upvote 0
Oh right, so are there any alternative ways to power analogue cameras?
Probably not.
Some models allow power transmission options such as Power over Co-ax.

What model are your cameras please?
I assume that it all did work, and has been installed for a number of years?

Were the IP cameras added more recently?
What model DVR are you using?

Upvote 0
Oh okay.

The analogue have been in a year, but only recently 3 of them have been playing up

The model is

HiLook THC-T180-M 8MP 4K TVI Mini Turret 2.8mm​

The IP cameras were installed less than 2 months ago.

Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU 8MP 4K Hybrid ColorVu and IR Acusense Turret​

Its HiLook DVR-208U-M1

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Anyone able to help with an intermittent issue. 2 of my analogue cameras are either flickering black and white, solid black and white, or no video.

I have 7 cameras in total, 2 are IP accusense and 5 are through the DVR. The analogue ones run through a power supply.

Any help would be really appreciated

Attachments

• 20240621_082005.jpg
    20240621_082005.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240621_081957.jpg
    20240621_081957.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Back