01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Noob question

Swiker

Hi all,
I've just moved and there's a CCTV system in place in my new flat. If I turn my TV to analog I can see a channel for the building CCTV cams and one for the main door. My question is what do I need to take this analogue feed (currently comes out of 1 co-ax socket as does the digital aerial feed), convert it to digital and then connect over RJ45 to a server to record the feed(s). In the future I will be adding other IP cameras so a I've bought a switch with 4 PoE ports in readiness for this.

Currently the server is an old Win XP box but this will be replaced with either a QNAP or Synology NAS....

Any pointers gratefully received and I'd like the tidiest, most elegant and cheapest solution possible of course............

Cheers

Hi there, If you had the output from a traditional analogue CCTV camera, then you would be able to use an encoder to create an IP video stream - Search results for: 'encoder' ¦ use-IP Ltd

However, your CCTV has already been converted from analogue composite video 1 volt peak-to-peak to a TV signal (or whole system output as HDMI as shown below) via an RF modulator i.e. converted to a certain TV channel and distributed throughout the building.

I'm not aware of any gadgets to convert this to an IP stream.

Perhaps you could use a TV capture card?

CCTV to TV modulation 4-3-18.png

Image credit: System Q

Phil, thanks for that. Obviously not what I really wanted to hear but at least I know how to implement a solution. I'll stick a USB tuner into the PC for now and I should be able to record the CCTV feeds. Will be slightly more complex when I introduce the NAS but I'm about £1000 away from that at the moment :)

Any suggestions on recording software that'll run an XP box for the mo?

Once again,

Thanks

Back