01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR Backup to Remote Server

dturtill

Hi

I am looking at a Camera setup With around 8 Cameras ( a mix of functionality ANPR, Fixed Recording, PTZ ) These will be linked to an NVR, however, I need to ensure that an Offsite Backup can also be taken in case of Site Failure.

Can anyone recommend anything please

Hi,
Let me try to put the data sizes in perspective.
We are currently testing new cameras from the Milesight range in order to produce YouTube review videos.
I'm working with a single 2MP camera, and running it at 10fps (and using the h.265 CODEC).
When I export/back-up the recordings from this camera; 24hrs of continuous recording = 38GB
Because I'm doing this manually, the export is actually 19x 2GB files of data, each lasting a little over 1hr for playback.
When I upload one of those 2GB files to the cloud (using a 10Mbps uplink) it takes fully 30 minutes.

That's a modest camera - 2MP; many of our customers are using 5 and 8MP cameras now.
Multiply that by eight cameras for your system, and I think you can see that it is just not feasible to record continuously and back-up via the internet.

You will see systems claiming cloud recording, but they will only achieve this by grabbing snippets upon motion detection, and sending those small chunks off data to the internet occasionally.

Back