01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR doesn't pick up PTZ?

1jp

need abit of help here.

Ive got a hik vision ds-7608ni-i2/8p NVR. the NVR is showing up in sadp and is set with a fixed IP (DHCP off). I have set up the admin passwords etc. I have also enabled the virtual hosting on the NVR.

The Camera is a DS-2DE5425IW-AE B. It connected directly to the back of one of the PoE ports in the NVR. The camera has power which is evident thought the active infrared lights and the fact it rotates when initally connected. However i can not find anyway to actually access the cameras feed nor the cameras settings. it doesnt show up in sadp, doesnt show up under cameras on the nvr menu, doesnt show up anywhere on my router as a device.

Any help please?

Hi @1jp

Is the PTZ the only camera connected to the PoE ports on the NVR? If you do have more cameras connected how many do you have and which models are they?
Was this PTZ brand new, fresh out of the box when you first plugged it into the PoE ports? Did you test it on a separate PoE injector first and/or was it an open box/used camera that you bought?

Hi @1jp

Is the PTZ the only camera connected to the PoE ports on the NVR? If you do have more cameras connected how many do you have and which models are they?
Was this PTZ brand new, fresh out of the box when you first plugged it into the PoE ports? Did you test it on a separate PoE injector first and/or was it an open box/used camera that you bought?
it is the only camera i have and the only one connected directly to the back of the nvr through a cat5e cable. camera was new and originally i connected it to the back of my router with seperate power cable to camera as router is no port does not provide enough power. i found its ip address at that time and then created a new password. i done this i wanted to fix the camera in a good position so wanted a view from it. i have treid manually putting the password back into the box that comes up under ip camera in configuration menus. it goes as far as saying offline(network unreachable).

Reactions: Dan
okay, connecting it to your router and setting a password will be what is causing this issue.

When you set a password and activate a camera on the local network it is assigned an IP address on your local network, then when you move it to the NVR it won't recognise the camera because the NVR uses its own subnet range (192.168.254.xxx) which means devices connected to the PoE ports are not visible from the local network and thus why you need to use Virtual Host.

To connect a camera to the NVR PoE port it needs to either be inactive so that it can be activated by the NVR, assigned a subnet address, and assigned the NVRs camera activation password.

Alternatively, if you want the camera to maintain the password you have already set you will need to reconnect the camera to your router/local network, change the camera's IP address to one of the available subnet addresses from the camera list (e.g. D1 will likely be something like 192.168.254.2), then move the camera back to the corresponding PoE port (e.g. D1 is port 1), finally, you need to either select the correct channel and click 'Modify' at the top of the camera table or the little pen/paper icon on the far right of the camera table to open the channel modify menu where you can switch the channel from Plug & Play to Manual and then enter the username & password before saving these changes.

Once done the channel should say it is connecting and after a couple of minutes the camera should be online (you may need to go out and back into the camera management page to see the camera online)

yes, makes sense, i was hoping their was some kind of reset button on the camera or it may self reset after not having power for so long. well time to get the ladder out and some extension leads to supply power while its connected to the (non poe)router.

Many thanks for the clarification.

one more thing ive perhaps overlooked, to view the one PTZ camera with hik connect on say a phone. I was able to do this when it was connected to the routehr directly by scanning the QR code on the camera. However with the camera plugged into the NVR it can not find it, nor if i do it again with the bar code scan. It is possible to have the camera connected on back of NVR ports and have hikconnect to view it? or would i be better off getting a poe switch to connect camera, then setup for it to forward recording to nvr?

Hi @1jp

If the PTZ is plugged into the PoE ports on the NVR you will need to add the NVR to Hik-Connect, below are our instructions on how to do that.

ok now im lost, ive tried going into the PTZ camera settings and changing its ip address to that of the sub ip corresponding on the nvr for the relveant port. still says offline(network unreachable) eventually after saying connecting. ive tried reseeting the nvr and the PTZ. Then setting up the NVR again with nothing connected apart from power and land to router cable. Then adding on the freshly reset PTZ camera on the NVR port... same thing. is their a step to step guide i can follow to get this right even if it means resetting both etc again and follow some given steps. i dont think im doing anything wrong and have teied numerious ways to get it to work but im stumped... unless somethings faulty but i dont see how has all cables and ports seem to work. nvr is picked up on network, ptz can be picked up on network if on router and viewed on hikconnect. im baffled.....?

ok now im lost, ive tried going into the PTZ camera settings and changing its ip address to that of the sub ip corresponding on the nvr for the relveant port. still says offline(network unreachable) eventually after saying connecting. ive tried reseeting the nvr and the PTZ. Then setting up the NVR again with nothing connected apart from power and land to router cable. Then adding on the freshly reset PTZ camera on the NVR port... same thing. is their a step to step guide i can follow to get this right even if it means resetting both etc again and follow some given steps. i dont think im doing anything wrong and have teied numerious ways to get it to work but im stumped... unless somethings faulty but i dont see how has all cables and ports seem to work. nvr is picked up on network, ptz can be picked up on network if on router and viewed on hikconnect. im baffled.....?
Usually if you add a completely reset camera to a POE port on the NVR, the NVR will configure it via Plug and Play. When I say 'completely reset' I mean that the camera should not just be on default settings, but also be deactivated, otherwise it may not work. However I have had a few occasions where the Plug and Play did not work. The easiest workaround for you is as follows:
  1. Disconnect the camera from the POE port of the NVR.
  2. Connect to the camera and set its IP address (just the IP address) in the same range as the NVR POE ports but so that it can't clash. Just add a hundred to the camera number IE if it's going to be camera 4 - address it 192.168.254.104. Important - Don't reconnect it yet!
  3. Access the local NVR interface, Camera Settings. Put them in list view and click the edit settings icon for the channel you're going to add it to.
  4. You'll get a pop up box. Change 'Plug and Play' to 'Manual' and manually enter the same IP address you used in step 2. You can either enter the admin password you used in the camera. Or if the admin password is the same as the NVR, just tick the box that says 'use channel default password'
  5. Click apply/save
  6. Wait a minute or so then plug the camera back into it's POE port.
"ok now im lost, ive tried going into the PTZ camera settings and changing its ip address to that of the sub ip corresponding on the nvr for the relveant port"

You nearly had it sorted there. You set an IP address in the camera BUT as the NVR port was set up as plug and play still it wouldn't connect.

Back