01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Nvr won't pick up IP cam on POE switch

Tek2020

Hi,

I'm having a slight problem with my Hilook ip/network camera and was wondering if anyone can help.

So my Hikvision Nvr configuration menu won't pick up the ip camera when it's connected to my POE switch but when I connect it directly to my home ISP router the Hikvision NVR picks it up fine when you press refresh.

The wierd thing is when the ip camera is connected to the POE the Hikvision SADPTool picks it up fine and I was able to connect it to the Hik-Connect app and it was running all fine.

Any ideas on how I can gain access to the camera via the poe switch through the Hikvision NVR as I would ideally like to add a couple ip cameras to my current 4 ch nvr setup.

Thank you very much for any help.

Regards

T

Any ideas on how I can gain access to the camera via the poe switch through the Hikvision NVR as I would ideally like to add a couple ip cameras to my current 4 ch nvr setup.
You don't mention how many cameras you have/are trying to add. Just to state the obvious, if it's a 4 channel NVR then you can have 4 cameras max regardless of whether they are connected directly to the NVR or via a PoE switch on your LAN.

It should be straight forward. The easiest way is to first connect to the camera using a web browser, activate it with your preferred admin password and assign it a static IP address to match your LAN network. Then in the NVR menu manually edit the channel you want the camera to use - changing from plug and play to manual, entering the IP address you've given your camera along with the admin password you used. Once that is done connect the PoE switch to your network and the camera should come online.

Two issues you may have had that are causing your issue:

1 - You plugged the camera directly into the NVR PoE port at some point. It will have been automatically assigned an IP address to match that of the NVR's PoE ports (192.168.254.xxx). This will not work on your LAN and will need to be changed to match your LANs addressing. If this is the case, find out the IP address that it's currently on, login to it at that address and change it.

2 - You can sometimes have issues if you use the uplink port on a PoE switch if you connect that to the camera rather than your LAN.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with HiLook so cannot advise the exact procedure.

Hi JB1970,

I have a 4 channel NVR with 4 cameras already connected via BNC cables. On the Hikvision website it says my particular box can have up to 5 network cameras.

So your suggestion worked. I managed to give it a static IP address using the Sadp tool and have also managed to add it manually in the IP Management Settings.

The only problem is that the network is unreachable when connected to the poe switch but if I directly connect the ip camera to the main router it seems to connect online fine and display the picture on the NVR.

This is very odd to me unless I need to give my POE switch or ip camera permission via my main router settings somehow?

Thank you any help welcome.

Regards

Tek

Hi JB1970,

I have a 4 channel NVR with 4 cameras already connected via BNC cables. On the Hikvision website it says my particular box can have up to 5 network cameras.

So your suggestion worked. I managed to give it a static IP address using the Sadp tool and have also managed to add it manually in the IP Management Settings.

The only problem is that the network is unreachable when connected to the poe switch but if I directly connect the ip camera to the main router it seems to connect online fine and display the picture on the NVR.

This is very odd to me unless I need to give my POE switch or ip camera permission via my main router settings somehow?

Thank you any help welcome.

Regards

Tek
Ahh ok. You don't have a 4 channel NVR...you have a 4 channel DVR. An NVR takes only IP cameras, whereas a DVR is designed primarily for HDTVI cameras but can also accept one or more IP cameras via the network.

It should work fine via the PoE switch. The only thing I can think is that the connection between your PoE switch and router is no good, or that the switch isn't correctly powering the camera.

Just figured out something interesting. So If I plug the ip camera into one of the two "up link" ports and hit refresh the ip camera settings on DVR it manages to go on online status and displays the blue circle with the white play logo in the middle. So all is working fine this set but why doesn't it work in one of the eight spare "spoe" ports? I wonder?

Just figured out something interesting. So If I plug the ip camera into one of the two "up link" ports and hit refresh the ip camera settings on DVR it manages to go on online status and displays the blue circle with the white play logo in the middle. So all is working fine this set but why doesn't it work in one of the eight spare "spoe" ports? I wonder?
It should actually be the other way around - uplink to the router, PoE port to the camera - the uplink port wouldn't usually supply any power. Though you can use the non uplink ports for both the camera and the router connections.

I think I have a terrible poe switch it was £10 from ebay doesn't provide power to ip camera either I've had to give it its own power supply using a 5v dc cable. I will order a new poe switch and see how I get on.

Something really fishy is going on here. The poe is allowing the video image to be displayed via the up link lan port but not from the other 8 spoe ports. Seems like my router is not allowing the video content to pass through the 8 spoe ports for some reason but allowing the uplink lans to connect fully.

Update*

So I've managed to get the ip camera to work from any of the 8 spoe ports.

Managed this by connecting the main router to port 1 uplink on the poe switch and I've got the dvr connected to port 2 uplink on the poe switch. Now which ever spare port I plug my ip camera into works, result!

Next step is to order another ip camera and see if I can add another one. I only need to add 2 ip cameras to my current set up to make it complete how I want.

Sorry about this guys I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking.

Update*

So I've managed to get the ip camera to work from any of the 8 spoe ports.

Managed this by connecting the main router to port 1 uplink on the poe switch and I've got the dvr connected to port 2 uplink on the poe switch. Now which ever spare port I plug my ip camera into works, result!

Next step is to order another ip camera and see if I can add another one. I only need to add 2 ip cameras to my current set up to make it complete how I want.

Sorry about this guys I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking.

No problem. I probably misunderstood your setup and thought the camera was connected to the switch and the DVR straight to the router. I guess you installed the switch at the DVR and used the existing cable from the router to connect it. It should be easier with your second camera, just set it up with a browser or SADP first.

Yes that's correct I installed the switch where the dvr is setup. All working fine now apart from one issue. Switch not providing power. The next step is to get to the bottom of this. I will try a process of elimination and but a better quality poe switch. I've already tried the cables used a cat5 and a cat6 both never gave power.

You could have used a standard switch along with a PoE injector (about £15 on Amazon). In your case the Poe switch makes more sense as you're intending to add another camera. I'd stick with a known brand for your switch. If I need a small PoE switch I'll generally get the TP Link one. It's false economy to get something cheap if it's not going to be reliable. The TP Link 5 Port (4 PoE plus uplink) is just under £30 on Amazon.

Thank you very much mate I really appreciate your help I'll order that today. I'll probably be back on here no doubt I'm sure ill have more questions.

Stay safe everybody

Back