01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Offline remotely

Jacksprat

Hi newbie here and not very technical. I use the ivms4500 to view my cameras and when I am at home all is ok but when I switch it to away for viewing from home I get offline? I have tried to add again and I get already exists? Please give me some help as need to view when I am away from home.

Did you mean to say this? :confused:
when I switch it to away for viewing from home

Why are you using iVMS-4500 instead of Hik-Connect please?
Do you only have cameras? (no NVR?)
What models please?

Sorry half asleep with cameras not working on my mind! I mean when I switch to away for viewing away from home. I have a hikivision DVR and 4 cameras model DS-7204..
When you click on device's. The "home" one is highlighted the "away" is not anymore it used to be I tried adding device again and it says already exists but it is not highlighted anymore hence not be able to view the!?? Help me please

Sorry half asleep with cameras not working on my mind! I mean when I switch to away for viewing away from home. I have a hikivision DVR and 4 cameras model DS-7204..
When you click on device's. The "home" one is highlighted the "away" is not anymore it used to be I tried adding device again and it says already exists but it is not highlighted anymore hence not be able to view the!?? Help me please
Ok so it sounds as though you have two entries in IVMS for your system - CCTV Home and CCTV Away. The Home site is using your NVR internal IP address but we need to know what the Away site uses. In the app:

• Click the menu icon in the top left corner
  • Click devices and select your "Away" site
  • Make a note of the address - is it a domain or is it an IP address? (just need to know which - don't post it in your reply)
Also what internet provider are you with?

There are several reasons that it's stopped working but the next step depends on the answers above.

Hi yes we have 2 entries. It says IP Domain? And I am in Virgin Media network provider.

Hi yes we have 2 entries. It says IP Domain? And I am in Virgin Media network provider.

Ok. Virgin Media IP addresses usually don’t change unless you change equipment, package or they make changes to the network. However most of them did change in mid October when Virgin Media made changes. I had to send a mail out to my customers to let them know.

1. While connected to your WiFi go to whatsmyip.org and make a note of the address.
  2. Switch off Wifi temporarily on your phone
  3. In IVMS app - menu, devices, select the Away site and compare the address you've just noted to the one on that page.
  4. If they're different, click the edit icon in the top right corner, replace the old IP address, with your new IP address and click save in the top right corner
It should now be working on the Away setting if you have a 3G/4G signal on your phone (your phones WiFi should still be off at this point) If so re enable the phones WiFi. If not, post back here.

Hi... Sorry it was a different address so changed it followed the instructions you gave and it came back with connection failed . It happened from around the 25th.October that I cannot view away anymore?

Even the address on the home camera is different to the one I have but I can view that from home?

I must also mention that on Sunday we put a new modem in that Virgin media sent but I can view camera's from home on my phone and on my TV screen when I view them without amending anything with the cameras settings? I doubt that has something to do with it as I can't view the away cameras for over 4 week's now? Getting frustrated here now.. sorry...

Ahh ok then - thats the reason. You will have had port forwarding settings in the old hub. You'll have to login to the Virgin modem at http://192.168.0.1 and add port forwarding settings for it to work when you're away.

Two things have changes - your IP address changed and stopped the Away setting working. Up to the point you changed the hub you could've got it working again just by updating the IP address as detailed. The port forward settings are only needed when you're out and that's why it still works when your at home.

Last edited:
You may be better getting your installer to do it if you're not confident messing around with the programming of the router (Virgin Media Hub). What you need to realise is that once it's working, if you get a new Virgin Hub, if you press the reset button on the Virgin Hub, if you call Virgin Media because of a problem and they reset the Hub remotely - you will lose the settings again. The Hub is the property of Virgin Media and they can pretty much do what they want with it!

1. On the DVR go into the menu > network settings and make a note of the following - IP address (will be 192.168.0.???), Server port (probably 8000), RTSP port (probably 554), http port (probably 80)
  2. Open an internet browser and go to the address http://192.168.0.1. This will open the homepage of the Virgin Hub
  3. At the login page enter the password which is on your router - this is the settings password NOT the WiFi password or WPS pin. It's on the label underneath, not the red pull out card.
  4. Click on advanced settings - acknowledge the warning if it pops up
  5. Find the port forwarding page - from memory it's beneath firewall settings
  6. You need to add 3 rules, one for each of the port numbers in step 1. Each rule will be used to forward 1 port to the DVR IP address in step 1.
For example if the port numbers in step 1 are 8000, 554 and 80 and the internal IP address is 192.168.0.100.
  • Rule 1 - port - 8000 TCP, IP address 192.168.0.100 apply
  • Rule 2 - port - 554 TCP, IP address 192.168.0.100 apply
  • Rule 3 - port - 80 TCP, IP address 192.168.0.100 apply
And that's it, you'll be up and running again.

Last edited:
Ok.. many thanks i appreciate your help. I am not confident enough to do this so I will wait for my son at the weekend and let him try these instructions if we have no success I will then have to call the installer and let him sort it for me.

Back