01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Poor night performance from Hikvision mini-domes

IanMK

I have four cameras: DS-2CD2132, DS-2CD2142 and DS-2CD2163 x2 (all 4mm focal length) and I haven't been able to achieve decent night vision performance to allow adequate identification of unwelcome visitors (apart from the DC-2CD2132 installed at the front door). The picture is either too grainy or has ghost trails. Sometimes I can be hard-pressed to identify what they are wearing. Do you have any suggestions or do I need to consider changing the cameras. If so, what should I be looking at? (I'm not necessarily wedded to Hikvision).

vlcsnap-2019-12-12-15h05m42s524.png
vlcsnap-2019-12-12-15h08m14s858.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We would recommend that you play around with some of the cameras video/image settings, for example:

- try increasing the frame rate
- try increasing the shutter speed (default speed is usually around 1/25-1/30, try speeding up to 1/100, 1/250, maybe even faster but you will start to see a much darker image as the faster the camera captures images the less light it takes in)
- Try turning on & adjusting the WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) settings
- Try turning on and adjusting the DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) settings

In my humble opinion what IanMK would like to achieve (decent face/body recognition at night) requires either a specific camera or much more light. Would an additional IR lamp make any big difference?

Btw:In my case WDR was a real game changer. The situation improved but there is still a huge difference between day and night performance s

Thanks Dan. I’ll persevere with my iterative adjustments. DNR & WDR are already on. There’s little pedestrian traffic so you will appreciate that this could take some time :-). Sadly the Hikvision Help files are less than helpful, simply stating the blindingly obvious (e.g. “Set the DNR level from 0 to 100”).

@IanMK,
I have minidome and Cube cameras (DS-2CD2455 and DS-2CD2555) and I have exactly the same picture quality as you. I did try adjusting everything I possibly could (WDR, BLC, shutter speed, manual distance for IR light, frame rate, contrast, etc). You either get very dark image or too much ghosting / blurring to make any use for people identification or reg plates of passing cars. I don't think you can improve on that.

I see some cameras are braded as Darkfighter - I wonder if there is significant improvement of eg. DS-2CD2545FWD (darkfighter) compared to DS-2CD2555FWD I bought 18months ago.

The only other option I can think of (and I will try that) is to get supplement external IR illumination.

@rompik
Yes, I agree. I, too, have wondered how much of an improvement the Darkfighter technology gives. I have also been casting an eye over other manufacturers products, including 'Starlight' offerings. The criticism of Hikvision night vision is a common theme on here. It would be good to hear from people who have found a practicable and affordable solution for monitoring unwelcome nocturnal activities.

I have cameras with (2365G1) and without (2343G0) Darkfighter and have noticed a difference in their performance though it may not be just down to the DF as the G1 is a newer model with better overall performance. What I have found is that DF enables the camera to operate in colour (so does not switch to IR) at lower light levels.

In IR I find that the cameras are only able to capture detailed images at certain distances, not so far away that detail is not captured due to motion blur and Megapixal capability but not too close that IR washes out the image.

Now because the DF camera stays in colour most of the time, the image has more detail, with less motion blur as the camera does not have to compensate for low light as much by reducing shutter speed and of course its colour so you can distinguish clothing much better.

I do however have the DF camera in a fairly well lit area, overlooking my drive that is lit by street lighting and am not sure how much light would be required to keep it in colour and I do have additional PIR lights that come on when sensing movement so all my cameras trip over to colour. I find this (not to rely on IR) the best way to get good images and of course PIRs are an additional security measure and deterrent to any intruder.

Cheers

Back