01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Random Recording Dropout?

ashleygavin

Hi There,

I have a DS-7604NI-K1/4P NVR along with 2 x DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL and 1 x DS-2CD2387G2.

The 8mp camera I have an issue where the recording randomly has gaps, as shown in the attached screenshot. I have video loss detection enabled and this doesn't alert at the recording drop out times and the other 2x4MP camera still record fine without issue.

This only happens maybe once a week and is flawless the rest of the time.

Struggling to work out what the issue could be as the video stream doesn't appear to drop out and the other channels record fine.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Ash

Attachments

• IMG-20221229-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221229-WA0003.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 143
Those are looong gaps, not just a few seconds. Have you looked at your logs in the NVR to see if there are power dropouts, network dropouts, etc?

Those are looong gaps, not just a few seconds. Have you looked at your logs in the NVR to see if there are power dropouts, network dropouts, etc?
Exactly my thoughts. Logs on the DVR show nothing out of the ordinary network wise, I have the video loss detection enabled and that doesn't alert and other channels on the DVR record fine with 0 gaps. The example I used was quite a large gap, they are usually like the attached, seconds.

I wonder with it being an entry level DVR and having 4 channels in use (1 cheap ONVIF camera) is the fourth whether it's struggling to cope with the 8MP stream as I have it set on the max quality, frame rate etc.

I started out with just this one 8mp camera and don't recall any breakups.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104_215418_Hik-Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104_215418_Hik-Connect.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 142
I wonder with it being an entry level DVR and having 4 channels in use (1 cheap ONVIF camera) is the fourth whether it's struggling to cope with the 8MP stream as I have it set on the max quality, frame rate etc.
Ash,
temporarily reduce the 8mp camera to 4mp and see what happens.

do you see the gaps for all cameras?

David

Ash,
temporarily reduce the 8mp camera to 4mp and see what happens.

do you see the gaps for all cameras?

David
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

That was one of my thoughts to reduce it down to 4MP or even just reduce the record quality/framerate. No the gap is only on the 8mp channel not the 4's.

The 8mp channel doesn't appear to ever lose the video stream which makes me think the NVR can't cope though you'd expect it to be random channels and not the 8mp one all the time.

Regards,
Ash

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

That was one of my thoughts to reduce it down to 4MP or even just reduce the record quality/framerate. No the gap is only on the 8mp channel not the 4's.

The 8mp channel doesn't appear to ever lose the video stream which makes me think the NVR can't cope though you'd expect it to be random channels and not the 8mp one all the time.

Regards,
Ash
There may be a quality setting for video (event) as well as video (main), it should be a dropbox selection. It seems strange to be completely dropping out, I would've expected video pixelation as a leading indicator. Especially during scenes of activity.

what video codec are you using H265 / H265+?

Just a thought but video loss alarms / events may not show until a specific time has elapsed.

David

There may be a quality setting for video (event) as well as video (main), it should be a dropbox selection. It seems strange to be completely dropping out, I would've expected video pixelation as a leading indicator. Especially during scenes of activity.

what video codec are you using H265 / H265+?

Just a thought but video loss alarms / events may not show until a specific time has elapsed.

David
So yes you're correct when I go back to the time before the dropout there is some green pixelation to one side of the image then it jumps over that to the next playable time.

I'm running all cameras on H265+ purely for the space saving. It has a 2TB HDD and running at 1x8mp and 2x4mp and the final cheap 1080P on H264 kills the space.

I have noticed if I physically pull the cable for the camera the video loss notification is immediate.

So yes you're correct when I go back to the time before the dropout there is some green pixelation to one side of the image then it jumps over that to the next playable time.

I'm running all cameras on H265+ purely for the space saving. It has a 2TB HDD and running at 1x8mp and 2x4mp and the final cheap 1080P on H264 kills the space.

I have noticed if I physically pull the cable for the camera the video loss notification is immediate.
if all goes well after decreasing the frame rate etc, it could be a lack of processing power. Can’t think of anything else for now.

if all goes well after decreasing the frame rate etc, it could be a lack of processing power. Can’t think of anything else for now.
Hi Dave,

Managed to get to the bottom of this. The 8mp channel max bitrate has defaulted to 12288kbps and I found a post on another forums that said the 4 channel NVRs struggle with it and Hikvison reccomend dropping this to 6144kbps which I've done. Not skipped a beat since.

Thanks for your help on this. The dropping down to 4mp which also reduces the bitrate got me onto it.

Back