01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware [Rant] Firmware Minefield

JB1970

Guru
Trusted Member
/[rant_start] Hikvisions ridiculous method for locating firmware...

I had an installation to service this morning that was more of a job than usual as there's been nothing updated for a couple of years so I needed to update everything as well as service the system and provide training for a new customer. The NVR is a DS-7608NI-K1/8P(c) and we know from Hikvisions message on the portal, not to use the portal:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 13.05.10.png

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 13.05.27.png

That's fairly clearly an instruction to NOT use the portal. So off to the UK product page I go and type in 'DS-7608NI-K1/8P', which returns:

Firmware UK Product.png

That's no good, it's not the 4G version (uses a different platform) so off I go to the UK firmware download page and type in 'DS-7608NI-K1/8P', which returns:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 13.31.41.png

The same - no good. OK let's try the global download site. That returns:

Firmware Global.png

Bingo. That has the update for both the C and D variants. I need the C as it's a K9B2.

So I update the 5 cameras and update the recorder. I then spend some time setting up and demonstrating the Hik-Connect app to the end user. Just when I think I'm done I give them a quick run through on the local UI. Why have I got a firmware download icon in the upper right corner of the screen, I click it and it offers me 4.75.200 when the latest from the download site is 4.72.109? So I wait another 5/10 minutes for that to download and install. I'm up to date.....nope; the download icon re appears and offers me 4.75.206, so I wait another 5 minutes for that to download, install and reboot. Finally, all up to date and I'm finished...except the demonstration I've just given on Hik-Connect is now 'out of date' as the latest update has added the AcuSense filter to playback and zoning of cameras for individual arming/disarming, so I have to set that up and demonstrate it.

So where I this elusive up to date firmware? I get home and check the UK portal (which we're not supposed to use):

Firmware UK Portal.png

Nope, that's the version I installed to start with. On to the EU portal:

Firmware EU Portal.png

There it is - right where it's not supposed to be up to date and on the site we're not supposed to use. What a s**t show. I wish they'd just bring back the portal and bollocks to going to the product pages.

/[rant_complete]

Attachments

• Firmware UK.png
    Firmware UK.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 65
For one of the biggest manufacturers of security equipment in the world - their firmware upgrades are dire.

I picture it as there being one person somewhere in Northern China that builds the firmware from his bedroom, who uploads it to a random folder. It's then passed to Barbara on reception in the Hikvision office, to be filed, but the phone keeps ringing and she gets disturbed, so puts it anywhere, because tea break is in 5 minutes.

For one of the biggest manufacturers of security equipment in the world - their firmware upgrades are dire.

I picture it as there being one person somewhere in Northern China that builds the firmware from his bedroom, who uploads it to a random folder. It's then passed to Barbara on reception in the Hikvision office, to be filed, but the phone keeps ringing and she gets disturbed, so puts it anywhere, because tea break is in 5 minutes.
And, the only filename Barbara knows is digicap.dav

@ Hikvision If you are reading this, please take note and act on this feedback.

The above are four long-term forum members with a huge amount of experience with Hikvision equipment.
Collectively between these four members there are 4,600 forum Posts here on Hikvision topics!!
If THEY are struggling ...

Plainly, they are at the end of their tether when it comes to your firmware update management :(

NB - I am aware of recent attempts to use the Hik Partner Pro App to make it easier to find the correct firmware for a device by scanning / entering the firmware:

Unfortunately, my team here at use-IP assure me that it does not (yet) work well e.g. does not allow you to enter hyphens (almost all Hik device names contain hyphens), and fails to find firmware for certain devices :(

NB - Please Note - when you do make further improvements to firmware management, a new UK Law dictates that we also expect you to publish 'Best Before' dates for device firmware support, within the next 12 months:

As is now required by this new cyber security legal requirement to protect users, which came into force 29th April 2024 (with a one year grace period):

@Phil, fingers crossed they'll take action....

I've been working with firmware since the late 70's, mainly on commercial / military comms / radar equipment. It amazes me that a global company cannot manage their firmware administration. Maybe it is policy to allow users to easily brick their equipment and buy another.....

David

NB - I am aware of recent attempts to use the Hik Partner Pro App to make it easier to find the correct firmware for a device by scanning / entering the firmware:
I wasn't aware of that @Phil. It appears handy so I just checked the serial number of the actual recorder I was updating and referring to in the opening post and keyed in its serial number. This is what Hik-Partner Pro returned:

IMG_6511.jpeg

4.72.109_230107 [insert Family Fortunes wrong answer noise here :)] The Hik-Partner pro app has suggested a version that is one year out of date!

PS: An ongoing thanks to the Use-IP team for following up on what gets reported on the forum. You do go above and beyond...

Hikvision have just released a statement on their compliance with the new UK PSTI Act (attached).

And also provided a link to a new product search service where you can check the 'Best Before' / end of support dates for each product:
PSTI-Software Support

We've only just seen this.
I am sharing it quickly.
It looks as though the end date for a lot of products is currently 5 years from now.
Since many of those products are current, and they have pledged 5 further years from discontinuation, we guess that date will remain 5yrs from now until at discontinuation it gets fixed and then the duration begins to reduce from 5yrs down.

Kudos to Hikvision for getting this in place quickly.

Attachments

• Hikvision PSTI Act Compliance Statement 15-5-24.pdf
    414.6 KB · Views: 65
Here's a sample screenshot from the Software Support search:
(it's a bit fickle, you have to accurately enter a correct model number in the proper format)

Hikvision PSTI software support screenshot 15-5-24.png

Hi @Phil
What is the difference between EOL and EOS?
We usually see on support page an EOL indication and there is no new firmware after that. Does EOL also means End of Support?
I see no new firmware for my old DS-KV6113WPE1(A)

Attachments

• DSKV6113.png
    DSKV6113.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 38
EOL = End Of Life (this generally means when something is no longer sold)
EOS = End Of Support

I think that committing to 5yrs support after EOL means that if say new firmware is needed to ensure a security patch, then a device that has not yet reached EOS will be patched.

Beyond that date, when EOS is reached e.g. 5yrs after EOL, then I suppose the recommendation is to replace the device with a newer model.

i agree, finding firmware is not fun at all

hikvision need to review the whole process

Back