01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Recommend An IP Camera

Wired

Hi everyone. I have a situation where I need an IP camera to monitor a path at the side of my house.
There is no place to mount a camera other than high up on the building its self.
This will mean screwing a camera onto the wall and pointing it down to monitor the path that runs along tight to this building.
I currently have a Hikvision camera and NVR, so would like to stick to a camera that will work with this brand.
My main concern is that pointing a camera towards the ground is are these bullet cameras waterproof enough to do so.

The building / path is 8mtrs long, and I can mount the camera at a height of 4 meters,
this would keep the camera below the floodlight that is higher up on the apex of the building.
Will this light cause trouble with the camera with it being above the light, sadly this is the gable end of a house and if I have to put the camera to either side of the light then it will also have to go lower down as the gable is wider lower down.
I do not want to use a 2.8mm lens as the distortion I do not like on the one I have, Would 4mm be too narrow to cover 8mtrs wide at 4 meters height.

Any comments or advise more than welcome, thanks.

Hi @Wired

What Hikvision NVR model do you currently have? What camera models do you already have and how many cameras are already connected to that NVR?

Do you have any obstructions on this path like a side gate? We ask because traditionally for monitoring down the side of a building like this we would usually recommend mounting the camera lower down (closer to head height) and closer to one end of the building to get better coverage of the whole path.

With the camera mounted high up and close to the centre, you will have to angle the camera more steeply down and this might make it hard to pick up details of faces coming along that path (especially if they are wearing a hat or hood that might shield them from the high angle camera).

Hi @Wired

What Hikvision NVR model do you currently have? What camera models do you already have and how many cameras are already connected to that NVR?

Do you have any obstructions on this path like a side gate? We ask because traditionally for monitoring down the side of a building like this we would usually recommend mounting the camera lower down (closer to head height) and closer to one end of the building to get better coverage of the whole path.

With the camera mounted high up and close to the centre, you will have to angle the camera more steeply down and this might make it hard to pick up details of faces coming along that path (especially if they are wearing a hat or hood that might shield them from the high angle camera).
Thank you for responding.
There are no obstacles along the path, and no gates at either end.
I know a top down view is not ideal, but it is my only option, I will be alerted to anyone under the camera and recording will take place, the spotlight is also a sensor light and am hoping when it comes on the intruder will look up. I already have one single camera above my front door, my door is set back a meter and as such I get a view of even the footpath below my door and all the way down to the main road, it is ideal, I was hoping to cover this foot path at the gable of my house with one camera as it is impossible to put the camera lower down, the reason being, the yard that runs along the other side of my path is raised two foot above my path, this means someone can step from that ground onto my boundary wall and just reach up and take the camera if it were at either end of the building pointing along the path.
The NVR is a Hikvision DS-7604NXI-K1/4P AcuSense NVR
The camera I currently use is a Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU darkfigher, I am pleased with it
but would like a narrower hrorzontal field of view to make it more natural, maybe a Color VU
as there are low level light sources around the area to be monitored. I can turn the spotlight on the wall off.
I should also mention the wall is not reflective, it is cream for two meters, and grey green black and white
stones dashed onto the wall, from way back, so no glare or reflection there either from lights.

Last edited:
Okay,

In that case, we would recommend a DS-2CD2047G2H-LIU 4MP Hybrid Light Mini Bullet (4mm)

You can mount this directly to the gable end but it is better to push the camera out from the wall so we would recommend installing it with a Junction Box, it is fine to install the camera below or above the floodlight as long as the source of the light is not actually visible in the camera's FoV.

If the camera has to be mounted high up and in the centre of the gable end, we would recommend that you angle the camera so that it covers one corner of the building because this will reduce the harshness of the viewing angle and improve your chances of picking up identifying details.

Back