01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Setup Advice

johp778

Hi All
I currently have 2 ip cameras, both connected to a powerline adapter in my garage. I'm looking to upgrade, as my cameras are not the best quality and more importantly I am only able to record stills to my NAS.

So thinking of
Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P with WD Purple 1TB HDD

Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I/G 4mm 4MP Grey Turret Network Camera (will aim to add more later on)

I was thinking of putting the nvr in the garage, as that's where my new camera(s) would be mounted from for the position i need it to cover and I can use PoE, however i'm having second thoughts due to low temperatures the nvr would have to cope with, being an unheated/uninsulated garage, therefore it would be in the house, but running cables from the house is going to be alot more work.

So to my questions

Do the cameras need to be connected to the nvr or (I assume) just on same network? It seems a shame to have 4 ports on the nvr not used & it does mean i'm limited to just 3 ports on my powerline adapter.

I've got port forwarding setup on each camera and use ip cam viewer app to view from anywhere, I know i'd need port forwarding on nvr to access outside my home network, but does that apply for just viewing? Do I need to port forward each camera to view through app or is their a Hikvision app for viewing? I'm assuming even if connected to nvr ports, each camera still has its own ip?

Last edited:
The cameras do not need to be wired to your NVR, you can add them to your general LAN and tell the NVR their IP address.

Use Hikvision's Hik-Connect portal and App to access your system.
(not port-forwarding)

Back