01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Several cameras with injectors behind a standard switch - should this work or not?

olliraa

I have installed a few Hikvision NVRs without any problems. Now, however, the installation site has the possibility to run only one cable from the NVR to the other side of the building where the cameras are. I figured out, I'd buy a standard switch and run the cameras with poe injectors behind the switch. Then there would be only one cat6 cable from the switch to one port of the NVR. I built the system for testing at home and it seems it does not work... The cameras are only seen one at a time -> ip adress conflict? The cameras have been setup to have different ip:s each (not the standard 192.168.1.64), but still it *seems* the cameras "fight eachother".

If the cameras are connected with one cat6 cable each, they work as expected.

I have not done this kinda of setup before, should it work? :/

Last edited:
Add the remote cameras to the site LAN, not a camera port of the NVR.

To elaborate:
Connect the LAN port of the NVR to your main network e.g. connect it to your site router.
Then add all of the cameras to the LAN - with LAN IP addresses.
Then manually add the cameras to the NVR.

I have2 HiKvision camera’s connected to a POE Inserter switch, one non-Inserter switch output feeds another switch, and all gear can see both cameras fine. Both switches are gigabit rated.
So I’d say yes.

Back