01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Should the "Enable AI by Device" option be on or off?

CMA

Hi,

I have DS-2CD2386G2 cameras connected to my DS-7608NXI-I2/8P NVR and just playing around getting the best from the smart events for my situation. Is the "Enable AI by Device" better on or off for smart events? Are there any positives or negatives to having it on or off?

Your 2386's have AcuSense built in - so you want the camera to do the AcuSense filtering and the "Enable AI by Device" should be on for those cameras.

You would turn off "Enable AI by device" on any channels where you have connected non AcuSense cameras. That would allow the NVR to analyse the VCA data and provide human/vehicle filtering.

Is it not the other way around ?

Im setting up an NXI nvr right now with ACUSENSE cameras and was looking for the meaning of this " Enable AI by Device "

an in the manuel it says this :

6. Optional: Check Enable AI by Device. The device will analyze the video, and cameras only transmit video stream.

So the way im reading it is that when the option Enable AI by Device is ON the NVR is doing the acusense part ... Or im i missing something here ? :)

Is it not the other way around ?

Im setting up an NXI nvr right now with ACUSENSE cameras and was looking for the meaning of this " Enable AI by Device "

an in the manuel it says this :

6. Optional: Check Enable AI by Device. The device will analyze the video, and cameras only transmit video stream.

So the way im reading it is that when the option Enable AI by Device is ON the NVR is doing the acusense part ... Or im i missing something here ? :)
You could be right with regard to the local menu. It should be obvious when looking at a non AcuSense camera connected to an NXI NVR as the Human/Vehicle filter checkboxes would only be available if the NVR is doing the AI.

Enable AI by 'Device' - typical of Hikvision to call it 'Device' rather than 'NVR' or 'Camera' and cause confusion. It's a little more obvious if you use the web configuration as it's very clearly indicated there. This is a DS-7608NXI-K1 and rather than a single checkbox uses a dropdown for VCA mode:

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 08.21.57.png

@mkssab I can confirm that on the local GUI, "Enable Device AI" translates as "Enable NVR AI". If you set up line crossing or intrusion on a camera and leave the "Enable Device AI" box unchecked, the NVR does the processing. In the local menu there is a screen that can be accessed in Smart Analysis > Event Engine and that will show which cameras the NVR is doing the processing for. For example in the images here you can see that Line Crossing is enabled for camera 1 with the box unchecked and the Event Engine shows that it is doing the processing for this:

IMG_4912.jpegIMG_4911.jpeg

hi, i had one situation where i couldn't use acusense on camera's that don't support it. After enabling AI by device i managed to use it.
Where on camera's that are acusense i didn't need to do it.
And i could use it on 4 devices, other needed to be acusense camera.

Different situation that yours @JB1970. Could it be different on different models?

hi, i had one situation where i couldn't use acusense on camera's that don't support it. After enabling AI by device i managed to use it.
Where on camera's that are acusense i didn't need to do it.
And i could use it on 4 devices, other needed to be acusense camera.

Different situation that yours @JB1970. Could it be different on different models?
Quite possibly. It wouldn’t surprise me if Hikvision reversed the function between models to confuse us.

For reference the photos above of the local interface were from a DS-7616NXI-I2/16P. However the screenshots of the web browser interface further up were from a DS-7608NXI-K2/8P (that one wasn’t hooked up to a local monitor so I’ve not had chance to look at which way around that tick box works yet)

Your 2386's have AcuSense built in - so you want the camera to do the AcuSense filtering and the "Enable AI by Device" should be on for those cameras.

You would turn off "Enable AI by device" on any channels where you have connected non AcuSense cameras. That would allow the NVR to analyse the VCA data and provide human/vehicle filtering.
You said "you have acusense built in (the camera)"

Does it mean it gives more accuracy to use the Smart analysis of the Acusense camera rather than the NVR?

You said "you have acusense built in (the camera)"

Does it mean it gives more accuracy to use the Smart analysis of the Acusense camera rather than the NVR?
Not necessarily more accuracy, but possibly, as you can adjust ‘validity’ for line crossing and intrusion. The main advantage of using the camera AI over the NVR is that it’s less restrictive. You can simultaneously use motion, line crossing and intrusion with AcuSense as the camera is doing the processing.

A video by Hikvision UK tackles this topic. Here is the part of the video where it talks about it below:

Enable AI by device, official video

Transcription of the Hikvision representative:
at the top, you notice "enable AI by device". If it says conventional IP camera or a camera that does not have the facility to do false alarm reduction, you need to enable the AI by device.

Back