01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Switch to Sub-Stream Policy Error

tolvar

Hi Guy's,

We had a NVR DS-7608NI-K2/8P installed yesterday along with 8 DS-2CD2183G0-1 cameras. NVR Firmware: V4.30.011

We were able to view all cameras on the main screen at 640X480 then select Switch to Sub-stream and select 8MP, this appeared to be the default state, no settings were changed.

When we came in this morning, all the camera inputs were displaying NO RESOURCE. If i then selected Switch to Sub-stream an error appeared "Stream Policy Switch Failed" the message would vanish and there would be no change.

I have noticed that instead of the default 640x480 view, all the inputs were on 8MP. The only way i've been able to view the cameras is to manually change their main resolution with Record>Parameter down to 1920x1080. The options for Sub-stream are still there and appear to be ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Does this seem relevant/similar?

There are similarities in that the live view is defaulting to the continuous settings. But where he had success disabling SVC, this made no difference.

Does anyone know why i see Stream Policy Switch Failed when i attempt to switch?

The issue appears to be that the system is not using sub stream and i'm unable to switch to it. I installed the latest Firmware and this made no difference.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd be reluctant to install an 8 channel K series fully populated with 4K cameras due to the incoming bandwidth limit of 80Mbps and decoding capabilities.

I'd be looking at what frame rate, bit rate and codec are in use in the record parameters for both main and sub stream. Let us know what you have set for both for the main and sub streams (not full frame/25FPS I hope). It could be that the NVR is so bogged down trying to decode the streams that it's failing to instruct the camera to switch from main to sub stream when you attempt it - hence the error message (it's not one I've seen before)

Update:

As suggested, i lowered frame rate etc, this made no difference. The fundamental error was that the system couldn't switch to sub stream mode. I then remove all camera's except for one and still couldn't switch. I then reset the camera to factory settings and it worked, i could switch to sub stream. I then reconnected another camera and still had to factory reset before it would work.

I'ts been 2 days since i reset all camera's and they are all still working. I set the res to 1080p on all 8 as I agree with JB1970 that they system would not hande all camera's running at 4k.

My uneducated guess is that the system flaked out due to all 8 camera's initially running at 4k, somehow this affected the camera's and not the NVR, so idea why... anyway, if anyone is unable to switch to sub stream mode or sees a policy switch error, then factory reset a camera, there's a good chance it will fix the problem.

Back