01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Synology vs Hikvsion DVR.

Dirky

Hi,
Currently I have 2 x Synology DVR216 deployed. One at work and one at home.
Each have about 7 Hikvision camera and some generic OVIF/Foscam.
Whilst the system works, I am not too pleased about the performance when searching for events, viewing recordings etc.
I access them over a 1Gb network via their web interface.

I'm contemplating switching to a Hikvision system but want to check what the performance is like? Currently I am having the DVD do the processing of motion so I am sure that is not helping but wondered how one of the hikvision systems would compare.

Any comments would be most welcome.
Thanks
D

Hmm, tough comparison.
Those Synology DVRs were not good e.g. under powered / poor specs, but you have the nice DSM & Surveillance Station user interface.
The novel thing / selling point of the Synology DVR was that it allowed you to connect a monitor (unlike all their NAS boxes), and of course it came with the camera licences for SS embedded.

An -I NVR from HikVision with the new V4 firmware would probably perform better, but you might miss that Synology look & feel. I'm not convinced you'd end-up delighted with the improvement in review/timeline performance if you abandoned the Synology for a new/current Hik NVR.

Thanks for your reply Phil. Interesting points.
Is there something else I should be looking at. I’d prefer to avoid windows passed systems.

Sorry, I can't recommend an easy / cost-effective step-up:
A 2018 'Plus' model Synology box would give you improved performance and a good interface, but you'd have to buy new Synology boxes AND many licences at £40 each (very off-putting). If you don't need the monitor connection, then I think Synology NAS boxes offer THE most evergreen solution. They release a new DSM operating system and Surveillance Station update each year to improve your system. If you purchase camera licences you can move them to a new/better box in due course.

The value of HikVision NVRs is unbeatable, but I'm not going to recommend even their latest and greatest as being a solution that you will appreciate as better.
Some V4 info here (HikVision's latest firmware / GUI) - https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/new-version-4-firmware-for-hikvision-nvrs.1416/
HikVision NVRs have some features built-in such as providing POE power and free ANPR capabilities which make them simply unbeatable value. I'd guess 85% of our customers go this route and are happy.

We're just not familiar enough yet with the new Milesight NVRs to recommend those as an alternative / replacement.

QNAP tend to lag behind Synology.

Most Chinese origin NVRs tend to feel a little bit un-finessed; lacking in processing power and memory, basic graphical user interfaces/software, and leave you with the feeling that there should me more features, things could/should be accomplished more simply. They seem to produce them with the sole ambition of engineering to the lowest price. I believe UK customers would be willing to pay a little more for a truly capable NVR.

You can purchase software in a recorder solutions, such as Milestone's Husky boxes, but their price tends to be prohibitive.

Software solutions offer the best performance / most features, but of course you need to run a PC/server 24/7 and pay for the software / licences.

There are very few comparisons available online.
It is hard to run the tests / make the comparisons; so many features.

This is exactly what I'm currently looking at - wanting to setup a reliable domestic CCTV system, I already have a couple of Synology devices (standard not NVR models), but not running Surveillance Station. However I'm not sure, given the reviews of the current DSCam app on Google Play whether this is the best route, or just going for a Hikvision NVR.

My biggest concerns are reliability, viewing of cameras when away from the home and options to backup to another device, in case the main NAS/NVR fails, or worst case, gets smashed. All cameras will likely be Hikvision and PoE IP connections.

Any other tips, recommendations? I have also looked at seting up a small PC running BlueIris, but I think I'd prefer a NAS or NVR dedicated to the job.

As you already have Synology hardware, you might want to test the Synology solution and see what you think.
Synology provide x2 free camera licences with each box.
Synology is quite nice to live with, but still the same pros & cons as mentioned above.
Some additional Synology info and more recent tutorial videos here - https://forum.use-ip.co.uk/forums/synology.52/

HikVision is simple, trusted and popular, but we don't know what they will do next to stop end-users buying their product :( - Hikvision ¦ use-IP Ltd

Milesight is gaining ground rapidly and has a great future - Milesight ¦ use-IP Ltd

Back