01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Transcoding workflow broken - downloads now encrypted

NullCam

Since upgrading one of our DS-7608NI-I2 to the latest firmware V4.61.010 build 220527 (before we saw the boot loop warning!) we have noticed that any footage downloaded is now encrypted.

We've not seen this behaviour before on any of our other I or K series NVRs. Streaming has always been encrypted, requiring a key when accessing via Hik Connect, but not the downloaded files.

This change means we can't drop downloaded footage into HandBrake for transcoding anymore.... Using the VS Player / Format Conversion tool works OKish, but is incredibly slow.

Has anyone else spotted this behaviour, and found a workaround yet? We'd rather leave encryption on for the streams, but it is not required for manually downloaded footage. Thanks.

Hi @NullCam

We have not encountered this issue before, the encryption key for live stream and for downloaded files has been around for a while but we have never drop downloaded footage into a tool like HandBrake so it had not yet been an issue.

With minimal experience of this issue and the HandBrake tool, I can only recommend that you try disabling encryption in the NVR settings which should remove the requirement for the encryption key.

Hi Dan, Thanks for the reply. We regularly need to export footage for the police - usually clipped to a certain time period. Loading up old footage with VS Player doesn't ask for a decryption password, only the footage from the new firmware. So looks like something has changed.

Unfortunately looks like we are now stuck using Hikvision Format Converter - but it's adding hours to the export process.

We can't turn off Stream Encryption as those streams are exposed to the internet with HikConnect. Would be good if there was a way to not encrypt downloaded footage, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that. Maybe they'll add it later... Thanks.

Back