01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Unrecognised Device applied for sharing?

Jo___z

The other day a device unknown to me applied for sharing through the hik Connect app . I am not sure how it managed to apply for sharing is my password or account compromised any help would be great thanks .

The other day a device unknown to me applied for sharing through the hik Connect app . I am not sure how it managed to apply for sharing is my password or account compromised any help would be great thanks .
I don't think your account is necessarily compromised.

If someone adds a device to Hik-Connect that is already registered to someone else, the app displays a page "The device has been added to the account joeb***@somerandomdomainname.com". Two buttons appear beneath that message in the app "Apply for sharing" and "Unbind Device"

It could be as simple as someone entering an incorrect serial number when adding a system to their app.

The serial numbers are 1 letter and 8 numbers. So it's not too difficult to click to add a system, guess a valid serial number then click "Apply for Sharing"

Edit: In just 5 attempts I guessed a valid serial number and found it was online (model DVR-104G-K1). I could now click one of those links which would be annoying to that user (Hi vkaf***c!).

I suppose you could get malicious attempts to access your device. Someone unscrupulous with a Hik-Connect account registered to the mobile number of a burner phone. At some point someone will be lax enough to accept the request but it's just phishing. Should I be contacting IPVM or Panorama @Phil ? lol

Last edited:
I suppose you could get malicious attempts to access your device. Someone unscrupulous with a Hik-Connect account registered to the mobile number of a burner phone. At some point someone will be lax enough to accept the request but it's just phishing. Should I be contacting IPVM or Panorama @Phil ? lol
BBC Panorama are obviously complete suckers for a sensationalist story, so I'd definitely give them a call with this shocker that you have just discovered :)
Maybe if we follow the trail with the help of the BBC's ace reporters we could discover the control room in China where they are keeping an eye on x Million network cameras in the wild!!! :0

Back