01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Use of different switches

skyranger

Hi

I have a 5mp ip camera Hikvision and have it install on the back of a 8 port NVR in the main house
I want to add another camera at the back of the house in the stables , i have a switch near the NVR in the house and a cat 5 cable to a switch in the stables to provide Ethernet , if i change this switch in the stables to a poe one , can i add a camera to this and still get the data and picture to get back to the nvr even though the nvr isnt providing the initial power poe ?

It matters not where the power originates. For a single camera I’d look at PoE injectors rather than change the switch, but either will work.

Hi, Yes you can do as you say (swap your switch for a POE switch - useful if you plan to add more cameras later), or just add a single port POE injector for the camera as @Magic919 suggests (cheaper for a single camera).
e.g. Level One POI-2002 Single Port POE Injector

NB Your camera in the stables needs to be added to your general LAN, with an IP address appropriate to the domain range of your router. You'll then configure your NVR to find this camera at that IP address in the camera management settings.
I'm only saying this as I have seen some people with setups as you describe attempt to 'patch' cabling from a camera port through switches to an outbuilding.

I’m surprised at the need to put the camera on the general LAN subnet, as I wouldn’t expect to do that.

Back