01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using 5mp colorvu cameras with Swann dvr

Bikeronnie

first Time on here so hello to everyone. So my question is, as I already own a Swann 5mp dvr would the hikvision 5mp turret cameras work with the dvr as I’d like to add some more cameras and maybe replace the Swann cameras altogether? I’ve read that Swann are a bit secretive with what format their cameras record in/ or what their dvrs will accept but I was hoping someone on here would know, thanks in advance

I don't know.
There is probably more to it than you suspect.
If it is a DVR that you have then I assume we are talking about analogue/co-ax equipment.
DVR = Digital Video Recorder (used with co-ax)
NVR = Network Video Recorder (used with IP / network cameras)
If it is a 5MP analogue camera, then it must be using one of the HD over co-ax formats.
This is the detail that you need to check for to ensure compatibility.
Different manufacturers use different technologies e.g. HDI / TVI / CVI or even AHD.
Some cameras can offer multiple format choices, selectable by switch.
Some DVRs can manage multiple options of input format.

Thanks for your reply Phil, I forgot to mention the hikvision cameras I was looking at are the Colorvu ones which I believe are Switchable between the different formats. Yes it's Co ax that i'm using with a DVR but I don't seem to be able to find what format swann DVR's use, mines the 4980 8 channel

I'm afraid you're at the limits of our hands-on experience; we don't sell analogue nor Swann.
I'd guess there would be something available online that states what the DVR uses / can do.
Otherwise, hopefully somebody else with experience of that DVR range might drop-by here and be able to offer more help ...

Back