01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Video recorder for 4pcs of 4K cameras - recording in original quality

littlejoe

Dear fellow forumers,

We would like to install 4 pcs of 4MP VuColour POE cameras or 4pcs of 4K AcuSense POE cameras. In either case what would be the most cost effective video recorder which would be able to simultaneously record from all 4 cameras in original resolution?
The reason why I am a bit unsure because for example the datasheet of the DS-7204HTHI-K1 says max 4 camera, max 8MP (12fps). Does it really mean that it can record in 4K from all 4 cameras simultaneously? That to me sound more than the stated max 10Mbps bandwith.

If you could point me to the right direction that would be highly appreciated.

Hi @littlejoe

The first thing to say would be to stop looking at analog/Turbo HD DVRs, they may offer support for IP cameras but their bandwidth capacity will be limited and they are unlikely to support the features of the AcuSense cameras.

Our recommendation if you are going for the 4 x ColorVu cameras would be the DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) 4-channel NVR and if you are going for the 4 x 4K AcuSense cameras then we would recommend the DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8-channel NVR as the I-series NVR support the v4 firmware which is required to support all the AcuSense functionality.

Thank you Dan. Very much appreciated.
The ColorVu cameras I was thinking of is the DS-2CD2347G1-L(U) which has a 2688 × 1520 resolution. Would the DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) 4-channel NVR be able to record 4 of these? The datasheet says only 4x FulHD.

If you look at the bullet points on the first page of the 7604 NVR datasheet you will see it says "Recording at up to 8 MP resolution" and "HDMI Video output at up to 4K (3840 × 2160) resolution" so this NVR will definitely record 4 x 4MP cameras.

Thank you Dan. Please don't take it as I am arguing just want to 100% sure. ;) The reason why I asked because on HikVision's website it suggest that when all 4 ch is connected the max res is 1080p. Also it says max 40Mbps incoming bandwidth. The 4MP ColorVu has 16Mbps bandwidth (4x16=64Mbps). Would it decrease the framerate or the resolution to fit in the 40Mbps?

1591713174614.png

No worries, this is a common mistake.

Decoding is different to recording, decoding relates to the NVRs ability to stream and playback footage from the cameras so when it says 4-ch @ 1080p what it means is that the NVR can live stream and playback 4 cameras at 1080p/2MP resolution, but if you look at the datasheet you will see it can also decode 1-ch @ 8MP.

So basically as you increase the number of cameras you are trying to view at the same time the resolution you view them at will drop, this is to do with the processing limitation of the NVR hardware, but whilst the decoding ability is limited the NVR can still record all 4 cameras at up to 8MP resolution.

Back