01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

When my NVR restarts it sets one of my 4K cameras to VGA resolution?

Hi!

I’m a newbie to this forum, but I’ve been struggling for months trying to solve a couple of problems by myself, and so would really appreciate some help.

I have a DS-7608NI-I2/8P 4K capable NVR on firmware V4.22.005, Build 191208.

I have five Hikvision 4K capable cameras, all on firmware V5.6.6, Build 210625.

My first problem is that no matter what resolution I set the cameras to, using their individual browser addresses, even setting all to HD, my NVR after a reboot, sets one of them at random to VGA resolution (640x480) and only records it at that resolution. (I’m referring to main stream, here, not substream).

My second problem, which might be linked for all I know, is that after a reboot the NVR assigns plug n play addresses to only four of the cameras, and the fifth one I have to set to manual and run through the remaining IP addresses until I hit the correct one.

Please help!

Hi @CaptainSensible

The first thing I would recommend is that you update your NVR firmware, if you look at the Hikvision Download Portal you will see you are many versions behind the latest firmware.

We would recommend updating one at a time through the below firmware versions:

V4.40.015 build200616
V4.50.000 build210125
V4.51.025 build210927
V4.60.000 build211129
V4.60.005 build220108

Once you've been through all those updates and are running the latest version please check the video setting and Plug & Play issues again to see if the firmware has resolved them.

Hi @CaptainSensible

The first thing I would recommend is that you update your NVR firmware, if you look at the Hikvision Download Portal you will see you are many versions behind the latest firmware.

We would recommend updating one at a time through the below firmware versions:

V4.40.015 build200616
V4.50.000 build210125
V4.51.025 build210927
V4.60.000 build211129
V4.60.005 build220108

Once you've been through all those updates and are running the latest version please check the video setting and Plug & Play issues again to see if the firmware has resolved them.
Hi Dan

Thank you very much for helping me.

I have now performed the upgrade steps you suggested.

What happens now is that, again, 4 of the cameras (all 5 are set to only HD (1920x1080) resolution) are assigned plug n play IP addresses, and the 5th one I had to set to manual and run through the available addresses until I hit the correct one.

However, with this latest firmware build, I then get the message “No enough network bandwidth” and so its video is not displayed.

Since this NVR is supposed to support 4 cameras at 4K resolution, I’m baffled to know why it won’t do 5 at HD.

Incidentally, 3 of the cameras are connected directly to the NVR via Cat 5E network cable. The other 2 are connected viable Cat 6 cable to power injectors and then (Cat 6 again) to a Devolo 1000GB Ethernet over mains device to a similar Devolo, and then Cat 6 into the NVR.

Any more suggestions will be very welcome as I can only see and record 4 cameras now!

Last edited:
Hi Dan
The troublesome cameras are randomly selected!
Having just re-booted again, I can see the 2 Devolo-connected cameras, and the one I had to change to manual instead of plug n play is giving the error message "No enough network bandwidth".
Last night it was a different pair.

okay,

this is all getting very confusing now, can you please provide us with a drawing/diagram of your system layout? Please show us how all the components of your local network and IP CCTV system are linked together, label which cameras are plug & play and which are manual, and confirm the model number(s) of the cameras you have.

Hope this helps!
Please see attached photos for camera device models. D5 which won’t connect “No enough network bandwidth” is DS-2CD2185FWD-I 8MP 2.8mm fixed lens dome camera.

Also attached is a scruffy (apologies!) diagram of my system layout.

Cameras D1: Rear, D3: Front Zoom, D4: Front are all connected Cat5e to NVR.

Cameras D2: Garage rear, D5: Garage front are connected via Devolo.

Currently D1, D2, D3, D4 are plug&play, and D5 is manual. This will all change if I re-boot but D5 will be manual.

The NVR is directly connected, Cat6, to my router, a Netgear RAX80.

I'm tempted to set everything back to factory settings and start again, but I've forgotten the factory ID and passwords for the NVR and cameras!

Attachments

• cctv diag.jpg
    cctv diag.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 151
  • cctv1.jpg
    cctv1.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 134
  • cctv2.jpg
    cctv2.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks @CaptainSensible

I think the main issue is the Powerline device being connected directly to the PoE ports on the NVR, if you were only connecting one camera this way it would probably be okay but you have 2 cameras connected to that Powerline kit which are both running back to one single port on the NVR. The way the NVR PoE ports are configured is to be detecting a single device and so this is probably why only one of those 2 cameras is being detected by plug & play and why you are having issues with the manual setup of the other camera.

We would recommend that you move the Powerline setup to somewhere else on your local network (e.g. into a standard network switch or a spare port on the router) and then have both those cameras connected to the NVR over the local network instead of Plug & Play.

The 2 cameras going back to the one port may also be what was causing the bandwidth error you were seeing.

Thanks Dan
I've removed one of the cameras connected to the Powerline, brought it indoors and connected it directly to an NVR port. Still the same 2 problems. I had to connect it manually, guessing its IP address and then getting the “No enough network bandwidth” error, so I'm still unable to see the video or connect to its nvr IP address. All cameras are currently set to only HD res.
Tomorrow I'll try to get the other camera indoors and connect it to the NVR too.
Fingers crossed!

Hi Dan
I've now got all 5 cameras connected directly to separate ports on the NVR.
Unfortunately I'm still only seeing the video of 4 cameras and getting the “No enough network bandwidth” error on the 5th.

Last edited:
Good news, Dan!
I gradually reduced the Max Bitrate for all the cameras, until at 2048 Kbps for each of them the 5th video appeared. And the 2 garage cameras are back on the Powerline now without any trouble.
I don't know what ramifications, if any, the reduced MaxBitrate will have?
I'll try setting the resolutions back to 4K now.
My only niggle now is that only 2 cameras are plug & play and the others manual.
Regards
CaptainSensible

Back