01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

When to use a manageable switch for large installation or large scale deployment

bien gomez

Hi

I was wondering if somebody here has encountered a large scale installation of HIKvision on a building or a factory?
Normally IPCamera's are connected to the NVR's POE port but on some occassions, we need to make use of a
PoE switch if the IPCameras are farther or are needed to be installed someplace else on the establishment.

My question is if there will be a multiple 32-port NVR (for example 3 units) and all these units will be filled with a
Camera, then is there a need to use a manageable switch to setup a vlan so only IPCams are grouped into a
VLAN so as not to interfere traffic with the existing network?

Are there any know rules or how do we test if the IPCamera installed are too many and it starts to interfere with the
company's network performance?

Thank you guys.

Yes, you would want to configure a solution such as a VLAN to manage high camera counts so that they are not detrimental to the customer's general LAN traffic.

Lots of info on VLANs at Google:
vlan for video surveillance - Google Search

Normally, a business/site of the scale that requires such high camera counts will have their own IT team or a company / contractor who looks after their IT - definitely discuss plans with them before progressing to install. They may already have complex network configurations in place that you'll need to work with.

NB - I'm not aware of any NVRs that provide more than sixteen POE ports, so you will require network switches (with POE) for sure.

Also, consider higher-end NVRs such as the Hikvision 96XX models which have dual LAN.
Hikvision DS-9632NI-I16 32 Channel Network Video Recorder

These will allow you to onnect one LAN port to the general network for access to the NVR, its cameras and recordings.
Whilst the second LAN port can be connected to a POE switch which connects to all the cameras under that NVR and manages a sub-domain for them.

Yes, you would want to configure a solution such as a VLAN to manage high camera counts so that they are not detrimental to the customer's general LAN traffic.

Normally, a business/site of the scale that requires such high camera counts will have their own IT team or a company / contractor who looks after their IT - definitely discuss plans with them before progressing to install. They may already have complex network configurations in place that you'll need to work with.

NB - I'm not aware of any NVRs that provide more than sixteen POE ports, so you will require network switches (with POE) for sure.

Also, consider higher-end NVRs such as the Hikvision 96XX models which have dual LAN.

These will allow you to onnect one LAN port to the general network for access to the NVR, its cameras and recordings.
Whilst the second LAN port can be connected to a POE switch which connects to all the cameras under that NVR and manages a sub-domain for them.

Hi Phil.

Thank you for sharing these links. Really appreciate the inputs.

Hi Phil.

I forgot to ask, is there a link or some sort of a chart for HIKVsion products for IPCam/NVR/DVR that shows which model supports a certain feature (line crossing, object removal, etc). Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks.

Back