01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which Cameras to use with a Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P to Read a Numberplate at 30-40m?

julian toon

hi so im after some advice
i have installed this model nvr with 4 x 6 mega pixel cameras but the cameras are fixed lense and cannot see a number plate at 30m on a clear day so we intend to add more cameras
and the 6megapixel cameras will go inside ,
but we need 4 more cameras which will work with this nvr and give us good a good enough zoom to be able to see a number plate at 40 m and also the best available wide angle lens ,this nvr is a proseries are there other cameras we can use in another series, possibly a bullet camera with ptz may do the trick
be grateful if you could advise,
and also can you add another nvr onto the hikvision app to broaden the amount off cameras that are accessible
regards
julian toon

Hi @julian toon

If you need greater detail at 30-40m then we would recommend a varifocal model like the DS-2CD2666G2-IZS (C) 6MP AcuSense Varifocal Bullet Network Camera which has a 2.8-12mm focal range.

For the widest FoV you will find that the 2.8mm offered by most fixed focal length models is the widest focal length, there are a small number of super-wide fisheye cameras like the DS-2CD2345G0P-I 4MP 180° Turret Network Camera or the DS-2CD2T45G0P-I 4MP 180° Bullet Network Camera, but we don't usually recommend fisheye models because they can suffer image warping/curving and the ultra-wide FoV stretches the resolution of the camera meaning the range at which you can see clear detail is significantly reduced.

What I need to make clear is that there is no one camera that will read plates at 40m and give you a wide FoV, if you needed to cover both these areas you would need a varifocal camera mounted alongside a fixed 2.8mm camera.

In regards to your NVR question, yes it is possible to have multiple NVRs on your local network and add them to the Hik-Connect app, you can also create a favourites folder within the Hik-Connect app so that if you have for example 2 cameras from one NVR and 2 cameras from another that you want to view at the same time you can add them to the folder and view them in split-screen together.

In my experience I would only recommend the 2.8-12mm focal range for an ANPR camera if it's mounted quite close to the subject. For 30-40m distance (and even for lesser distances) I would always go for the 8-32mm version (although I don't know if the camera model above is available in that focal range, but the HikVision ANPR cameras I have are available in both).

I had to replace one of our 8-32mm ANPR recently with a 2.8-12mm and the capture rate went down somewhat, especially in poor weather and at night etc.

The 2.8-12mm at max zoom was not as good and clear and close up on plates as the 8-32mm.

We are still capturing a lot of plates with the 2.8-12mm but I wouldn't buy another one (unless as I said it was mounted very close to the capture area).

And as @Dan said, don't expect to use it as a normal CCTV camera, not just because of the focal range, but also to capture plates at night reliably I set a high shutter speed which means the normal live image at night is totally black. So where we have ANPR cameras we usually have another non-ANPR camera covering the same sort of wider area.

Reactions: Dan
Hi @julian toon

If you need greater detail at 30-40m then we would recommend a varifocal model like the DS-2CD2666G2-IZS (C) 6MP AcuSense Varifocal Bullet Network Camera which has a 2.8-12mm focal range.

For the widest FoV you will find that the 2.8mm offered by most fixed focal length models is the widest focal length, there are a small number of super-wide fisheye cameras like the DS-2CD2345G0P-I 4MP 180° Turret Network Camera or the DS-2CD2T45G0P-I 4MP 180° Bullet Network Camera, but we don't usually recommend fisheye models because they can suffer image warping/curving and the ultra-wide FoV stretches the resolution of the camera meaning the range at which you can see clear detail is significantly reduced.

What I need to make clear is that there is no one camera that will read plates at 40m and give you a wide FoV, if you needed to cover both these areas you would need a varifocal camera mounted alongside a fixed 2.8mm camera.

In regards to your NVR question, yes it is possible to have multiple NVRs on your local network and add them to the Hik-Connect app, you can also create a favourites folder within the Hik-Connect app so that if you have for example 2 cameras from one NVR and 2 cameras from another that you want to view at the same time you can add them to the folder and view them in split-screen together.
so really we just need to see the number plates during the day so does that acusense bullet camera have an 8mp variation and do you think it will see a number plate during the day im not so concerned about the night as this is too hard
my customer doesnt like the wide angle one
regards
julian

In my experience I would only recommend the 2.8-12mm focal range for an ANPR camera if it's mounted quite close to the subject. For 30-40m distance (and even for lesser distances) I would always go for the 8-32mm version (although I don't know if the camera model above is available in that focal range, but the HikVision ANPR cameras I have are available in both).

I had to replace one of our 8-32mm ANPR recently with a 2.8-12mm and the capture rate went down somewhat, especially in poor weather and at night etc.

The 2.8-12mm at max zoom was not as good and clear and close up on plates as the 8-32mm.

We are still capturing a lot of plates with the 2.8-12mm but I wouldn't buy another one (unless as I said it was mounted very close to the capture area).

And as @Dan said, don't expect to use it as a normal CCTV camera, not just because of the focal range, but also to capture plates at night reliably I set a high shutter speed which means the normal live image at night is totally black. So where we have ANPR cameras we usually have another non-ANPR camera covering the same sort of wider area.
so what model 8-32 bullet camera ANPR IS AVAILABLE and will it work on the nvr I have AND DO THEY COME IN 8MP
regards
julian

Hi @julian toon

We would recommend the iDS-2CD7A26G0-P-IZHSY (8-32mm) 2MP ANPR Bullet Camera.

I don't believe there are any 8MP ANPR models, the reason being that if you narrow the ANPR camera's focal length to just focus on an area slightly bigger than the number plate you really wouldn't see a massive difference in resolution between a 2MP and 8MP image.

As I tried to explain above, you are not going to find one camera that can both give you wide FoV and read the detail of a number plate at 30-40m, you need one camera for each job. We would recommend the above 7A26 ANPR for the plate reading and just a standard 2.8mm 6MP/8MP camera like the 4 you have already installed to capture the wide FoV.

Left field but just in case you also missed this, you also need:
1. a reasonable monitor to appreciate the full resolution of some cameras
2. to set your nvr to output the correct resolution to suit your monitor

Hi @julian toon

We would recommend the iDS-2CD7A26G0-P-IZHSY (8-32mm) 2MP ANPR Bullet Camera.

I don't believe there are any 8MP ANPR models, the reason being that if you narrow the ANPR camera's focal length to just focus on an area slightly bigger than the number plate you really wouldn't see a massive difference in resolution between a 2MP and 8MP image.

As I tried to explain above, you are not going to find one camera that can both give you wide FoV and read the detail of a number plate at 30-40m, you need one camera for each job. We would recommend the above 7A26 ANPR for the plate reading and just a standard 2.8mm 6MP/8MP camera like the 4 you have already installed to capture the wide FoV.
so we put a 8 mp bullet camera in with a varifocal and the customer could clearly see the number plates by zooming in so it was fine for his needs
thanks for your help

Reactions: Dan
Back