01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Wipe NVR ready for sale?

sam_sam

Ive got a DS 7604 NI NVR

I want to sell this unit, i will be removing the HDD

But how can we complete factory reset the onboard memory to remove all settings, configs, passwords, app associations etc..

And once the onboard memory is reset could someone recall the data from the onboard memory ? Or is the factory reset a secure erase ?

Ive got a DS 7604 NI NVR

I want to sell this unit, i will be removing the HDD

But how can we complete factory reset the onboard memory to remove all settings, configs, passwords, app associations etc..

And once the onboard memory is reset could someone recall the data from the onboard memory ? Or is the factory reset a secure erase ?
If you're taking the HDD out, you just need to reset it from the maintenance menu. It only takes moments. You can do that from the local menu:

Maintenance > Default > 'Factory Defaults'

If you don't have a local monitor connected you can also do that from a web browser login. Though as it wipes the network settings, unlike the method above, you won't necessarily see the activation prompt after it reboots, if it grabs a different IP address (without browsing to the new IP)

That will restore all of the settings to default and restore it to inactive. The next user will be prompted to create a secure password when they switch it on to activate it.

Reactions: Dan
Thanks would that method be secure in that no would could recall the previous data / settings ? I’m aware with most computer systems data is not deleted but rather the index to that data is deleted so the underlying data is still in place

Also would we need to disconnect / disassociate any hik connect accounts ?

Thanks would that method be secure in that no would could recall the previous data / settings ? I’m aware with most computer systems data is not deleted but rather the index to that data is deleted so the underlying data is still in place

Also would we need to disconnect / disassociate any hik connect accounts ?
I wouldn't have any concerns about previous data being accessible after you've reset - I'm not aware of a way to recover that data from the NVRs memory/chip following reset (or before for that matter). If you've removed the hard disk, what sensitive data are you worried about? The username is 'admin' and there was a password you've put in there. You shouldn't be using the same password repeatedly across sites and there's probably no reference to your e mail address on the machine.

Resetting to defaults will disconnect your system from Hik-Connect. You may want to logon to your Hik-Connect account using a browser and delete the device from your account (if it is still present), so that the new owner doesn't get an error when they try to register the device to their account.

Thanks , I don’t have the hik connect account details any more is there another way I can release the NVR from hik connect ?

Thanks , I don’t have the hik connect account details any more is there another way I can release the NVR from hik connect ?
Yeah - before you reset to defaults, go into the menu Network > Advanced > Platform Access and click 'unbind' in there.

Back