01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connect computer to subnet?

Solution
If you need to browse to ONVIF cameras that are connected to POE ports on your NVR, then you can direct-connect your PC/laptop to a spare port on the NVR - so that it can access the subnet.

But, you will need to adjust the settings of your Network Interface Card on your PC so that it has an IP address within that same subnet network range.

Obviously, that is a faff if you have to do so repeatedly, and you may be better to add the ONVIF cameras to your LAN via a POE switch (than add them/their LAN IP addresses to the NVR), so that your PC can access the cameras at their LAN IP addresses from the PC with it's usual connection to your/same LAN.

I need to access the ONVIF cams for initial setup and only occasionally thereafter...
Your home router usually creates and manages the home subnet. You connect the computer to the router using the router wifi or ethernet ports.

David
That connects to the local network. I want to connect to dvr subnet

Upvote 0
Hi @robc

What DVR model do you have?
Is there a particular reason you need to connect your PC to the DVR subnet?

Upvote 0
Okay,

So it is an IP NVR, it is standard for cameras plugged into the NVR PoE ports to use the NVRs subnet and this is not visible to SADP on your local network. To access the directly connected cameras it is recommended to use the Virtual Host feature which creates virtual links to login to each camera individually.

Upvote 0
Okay,

So it is an IP NVR, it is standard for cameras plugged into the NVR PoE ports to use the NVRs subnet and this is not visible to SADP on your local network. To access the directly connected cameras it is recommended to use the Virtual Host feature which creates virtual links to login to each camera individually.
Thanks for extending my knowledge. It works great for Hik cams now but does not work for ONVIF cams

Upvote 0
If you need to browse to ONVIF cameras that are connected to POE ports on your NVR, then you can direct-connect your PC/laptop to a spare port on the NVR - so that it can access the subnet.

But, you will need to adjust the settings of your Network Interface Card on your PC so that it has an IP address within that same subnet network range.

Obviously, that is a faff if you have to do so repeatedly, and you may be better to add the ONVIF cameras to your LAN via a POE switch (than add them/their LAN IP addresses to the NVR), so that your PC can access the cameras at their LAN IP addresses from the PC with it's usual connection to your/same LAN.

Upvote 0

I need to access the ONVIF cams for initial setup and only occasionally thereafter.
I tried connecting to subnet and apparently I didn't know the correct settings. An online search proved fruitless.
Can you give be instructions on how to change adapter settings?
I know where they are at. I sure appreciate you speedy responses.

Upvote 0
Solution
This may help:

Upvote 0
Back