01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help for newbie - adding more cameras to my Hikvision DVR?

Charlie2022

Hi Guys. couple of years ago I got 2 hikvision cameras installed.one at the front of my house, other at the back. they are wired into a dvr drive in the attic. it cost 800 quid for the 2 cameras, drive and installation. rather expensive.

I would like to add 2 more cameras for as cheap as possible so am thinking about doing it myself.

is it hard to do for a person with no experience.and will any two hikvision cameras work with the dvr I have.

thanks

£800 doesn't sound too bad for 2 cameras and an NVR if the spec was decent. Hard to answer your question without knowing what you have. If you have a POE system - you'll need POE cameras - how good are you at building network cables to the length you'll need? Have you got the tools? Lots of questions - but to start with you'd need to list what NVR and cameras you have existing - and then can try work from there. (I take it you have all the admin passwords for the NVR/cameras as well?)

2 HD cameras 1080P that are wired to a 2tb nvr. if somebody walks past the camera I get an alert on my phone.
I don't have the admin passwords with it. just the unlock pattern

You'll need to provide model numbers - there are so many variations of equipment out there...

Ok - so your unit utilises BNC connections - so any new camera will need to have its own power supply and a BNC cable running to it. You can use network cable and baluns instead of traditional BNC cables which will make things easier - but you'll need to work out what cameras are connected - and how they've been set up. (Again model numbers)

In short - it's not 'EASY' for someone with no experience to know what they're doing. It's not a case of just plugging something in and it'll work. The recorder has a certain spec of what it can handle - so the two (then four) cameras will need to be fine tuned to get the best out of them (resolution/fps etc.). Hikvision has many nuanced issues that someone with no experience will no doubt come across and get totally confused.

It's also not impossible for you to do it yourself - but it might still be easier to have someone in to set it up so that's reliable, and performing to the best it can within the constraints it has.

Will you be able to route the cables and keep them well hidden? Will you be able to get the power supply cable from a socket somewhere where it's not going to be unplugged to put the hoover on?

I see your point. I will see if the fella will install just 2 additional cameras. Will be worth it I guess.

is this set up OK do you think? i think the pic quality is good and I like seeing it on the app.

You may find that the first two cameras were max'd out on quality and FPS - and that adding another two cameras will mean you'll have to downgrade their settings to accommodate the new ones It's a bit like a pint of milk holds a pint of milk - equivalent to how many resources your NVR has. Two cameras drink half a pint each. Four cameras can only drink a quarter of a pint each, as there's only a pint in total. So two more cameras will give a total of 4 views - but not necessarily as good as the two you already have.

I understand. perhaps I should get a Google nest camera so. would have been nice to have it all integrated on the hikvision app. Ideally the new cam would cover the front door area.

would you have any suggestions as to what I should do.

I understand. perhaps I should get a Google nest camera so. would have been nice to have it all integrated on the hikvision app. Ideally the new cam would cover the front door area.

would you have any suggestions as to what I should do.
Probably get the installer back in to see what cameras he recommends to maximise the quality you can achieve with what you have. If you already have the NVR I wouldn't be bothering with nest cameras or anything like that - I'd keep it all in one place.

Back