01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision App does not work on nightime.

PhillipLacy04

Hello,

I have bought a property what already has a hikvision system set up the DVR is DS-7204HUHI-K1-P and has 4 hikvision dome cameras connected. I have also downloaded the app on my phone,hik connect. The system is connected to its
own separate monitor what works no bother 24/7. The problem is the app on my phone. It is online and connected in the day but on the nighttime it is offline and doesn't work. Any help be much appreciated as I work away and like to keep an eye on the kids. Thank you Phil.

It could be a couple of things.

1 - When you say it's online during the day but not on a night does that coincide with your whereabouts IE it's working during the day when you're out (phone using mobile data) but not on a night when you're home (phone using your private WiFi). If so and you've added the CCTV to the app using an IP address/Dynamic DNS address (IP/Domain selected when adding it to the app), then it may be that your internet router doesn't support loopback. That means the router won't allow you to connect to the CCTV using it's external address from inside your home network. You could test it by just switching off wifi on your phone while at home and try to connect. If that works you have two choices - add the system a second time to the app using it's internal address so you have two sites (Home - WiFi, Home - Mobile) or delete the connection in the app and re add it using the Hik Connect connection method. If you already added it using the Hik Connect method ignore everything I've just said!

2 - A long shot this one but could the network connection to the CCTV be restricted to certain hours? Some routers allow you t do this to keep the kids off the internet at certain times and it can generally be set per device.

Hi JB1970,

Thank you for your help on the matter.

I still have the problem just put it to one side for a while.

It works fine on my WiFi during the day also. I have recently swapped WiFi providers and still have the problem on a night.

On my monitor the status is Offline so I wonder what is causing it do so on a night time?

All help appreciated.

Kind regards,

Phil

Definitely try @JB1970's suggestion of disabling WiFi on your phone and seeing if you can connect to the cameras at night after doing so. It could be that the new router also does not support loopback.

Who is your new Internet Service Provider?

What model of mini domes are you using, and what firmware is the NVR running (you can check this on the System Information page of the DVR).

Also try this method for adding the device to Hik-Connect, as it's more reliable:
  1. Scan the DVR's QR code again in the app and unbind it when prompted.
  2. Go to www.hik-connect.com on a PC, make sure the DVR isn't shown in the device list after logging in, then select Add at the top of the page.
  3. Use the 9 digit serial number found on the white label on the DVR or it's box to add it to your Hik-Connect account again.
  4. The DVR should reappear in the mobile app.
Does it still disconnect at night after this?

@Kyle - Reading the most recent response from Phil...

On my monitor the status is Offline so I wonder what is causing it do so on a night time?

... I don't think that is will be the loopback (or lack of it) issue. If the Hik Connect status is going to Online to Offline overnight then the DVR is losing connection to the service and that's something I've not seen before. As you've said it might be easiest to first try to delete and re add the DVR to Hik Connect and see if that resolves it.

After that I'd be asking whether there could be another item on the local network, which is active on a night that could be conflicting with the DVR. This could be another device that has the same IP address OR a device with a port that the DVR uses.

Proving an IP address conflict would be easy. Note the internal IP address of the DVR. When the Hik Connect service goes offline on the DVR on a night, remove the network connection and then ping the IP address from another device. If a response is received you've proven a conflict and just need to change the DVR IP address to one that's unused. If there is no IP conflict - it's easy enough to change the ports to try that.

Any possibility that incorrect time, time zone, or time server could cause these problems?
Possibly - I don't know exactly how the device reports it's time/location to Hik Connect. If the timezone was left incorrect (Bejing GMT+8), but the time was set correctly to GMT - could the connection fail to the Hik Connect EU server at 4PM? (when the date changes in the programmed timezone). I've just set mine up that way and temporarily disabled NTP to see what effect it has.

@PhillipLacy04 Can you have another go at describing the problem please?
Can you please confirm that when you are at home and checking on the local monitor all four of your cameras are good/viewable 24/7?
How are the camera powered?
From the DVR?
Does the fault coincide with infra-red switching on?
It coincides with darkness, not a certain time of day?
How is your DVR connected to your home network?
Is the cable from the DVR's LAN port to your network a bought / factory-made network patch cable, or one that has been home-made?
Is it screened?
Have you tried another?
Is the connection to the network and router via any other devices? e.g. powerline or wireless extenders or similar?

Long shot number 2....

Going back to the possibility of another device on the network having a conflicting IP address, that's active only on a night - you mentioned "keeping an eye on the kids". It doesn't coincide with a games console being switched on....?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help.

The kids are to young for a console so thats not a possibility.

Il try answer all of @Phil questions.

So the problem is my Hikvision Hik-connect app. The system works fine all day and can look through the app no problem but once night time comes the system is still working and recording but it says offline and my app doesn't work. I wouldn't say it was a time more of a darkness thing, as it happens earlier now with the earlier nights.

All cameras are viewable 24/7 on the monitor.

Cameras are powered by shotgun cable coax and red/black for power.

I've not touched the infrared settings but something I can try?

Its a darkness problem not a time.

DVR is connected through a powerline.

Patch cable on both ends are factory made. Dont think they are screened will double check.

I have not tried another patch cable will buy 2 screened ones and try.

I have wifi with Kingston communications. I live in Hull and they are the only wired connection we can get here.

Going back to JB1970.

I will try and see if there is a conflict with the IP addresses and see what I get.

Thanks for all your help.

Much appreciated.

Phil Lacy

The first thing to do is take the power line adaptors out of the equation as any source of electrical noise can render them useless and its possible that something is causing that on a night only. Depending on the model (using TP Link PA4010's as an example) there may be LED indications for Power, Link and Activity. The LED's may provide some indication but won't show everything.

The easiest way to do this is just install a temporary CAT5E cable between your router and NVR. It doesn't matter how unsightly it is as you only have to have it in place for 24 hours to prove it.

If it turns out that the power line adaptors are the issue and it's not practical to install a permanent cable, an alternative would be a wifi extender in the vicinity of your DVR and connect the cable to that.

To be clear I'd always recommend a permanent hard wired connection to the router and where that's not possible would use power line over wifi extender. However if it gets it working reliably thats the most important thing.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have bought a property what already has a hikvision system set up the DVR is DS-7204HUHI-K1-P and has 4 hikvision dome cameras connected. I have also downloaded the app on my phone,hik connect. The system is connected to its
own separate monitor what works no bother 24/7. The problem is the app on my phone. It is online and connected in the day but on the nighttime it is offline and doesn't work. Any help be much appreciated as I work away and like to keep an eye on the kids. Thank you Phil.
Hi Phil

Have you solved it, I have had the same issue. I realised that my tp link was plugged into the internet connection on my sky tv box what has a low power eco setting between 2 and 5am I’m going to move the tp link and plug in the wifi router tomorrow and see if it will solve the issue.

Maria

Back