01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision event emails and Microsoft Modern Authentication

George-H

Hi,

Anyone have any idea about the impact on sending SMTP event notification emails via Outlook.com when Microsoft switch off basic authentication on 16th September 2024 (this year!)?

Does the email client in HikVision cameras and NVRs support Microsoft's "modern authentication"?

I use Outlook.com accounts for sending email notifications using SMTP and those accounts are receiving warnings from Microsoft about this:

Modern Authentication.JPG

It could be a major pain in the behind if not.

Most online email systems nowadays (well Google and Microsoft anyway) now require you to configure 2 factor authentication on your account and then allow you to configure "app passwords" for things like this. So you go to your account and generate a unique password just for your NVR which you can then use for IMAP/SMTP etc.

Another possible alternative may be to configure an Outlook "connector". I really don't know much about this only that when I had some monitoring scripts which I wanted to send emails FROM a work Outlook address via sendmail our IT department configured an Outlook connector to allow sendmail to do that.

Most online email systems nowadays (well Google and Microsoft anyway) now require you to configure 2 factor authentication on your account and then allow you to configure "app passwords" for things like this. So you go to your account and generate a unique password just for your NVR which you can then use for IMAP/SMTP etc.

Another possible alternative may be to configure an Outlook "connector". I really don't know much about this only that when I had some monitoring scripts which I wanted to send emails FROM a work Outlook address via sendmail our IT department configured an Outlook connector to allow sendmail to do that.
Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't think that is the same as "modern authentication". Microsoft aren't awfully clear, but as far as I can tell, "basic authentication" is just your basic username and password. In the bits I have found about "modern authentication" they talk about stuff such as "OAuth":

Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online

I guess we'll see for certain if after the 16th September lots of CCTV kit stops being able to send email notifications via SMTP.

I've just spotted this in the Microsoft item I posted the link to above:

Modern Authentication 2.JPG

I guess that kills the idea of "app passwords" being a solution.

Back