01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New camera install query - gap at base of my turret camera?

Moley8

Hi i may have made a booboo hoping for a once over on my first camera install.
Camera is DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4MP with Hikvision DM21 junction box.
Cat 6 cable from rear of JB and pigtail within the JB.
Does something go in this gap as in a plastic plug of some sort and if so does the camera need to be removed to fit it or locate it?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG20240117163624.jpg
    IMG20240117163624.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG20240117163629.jpg
    IMG20240117163629.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG20240117163638.jpg
    IMG20240117163638.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG20240117164012.jpg
    IMG20240117164012.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
Hi @Moley8

Yes, there should be a small rubber bung that goes in that gap on the turret's base.

It is quite common that the bung pops out when you are first handling the camera, check the packaging and the area where you first opened the camera to see if you can find it.

If you can't find it you'll need to fill/cover the gap with something else like a weather-proof sealant or water-proof self-amalgamating tape.

Thanks Dan, thought that appreciated. Found the rubber bung in the undergrowth and will pop in. Thanks again

I am just installing DS-2CD1383G2-LIU to DS-1280ZJ-S and I definitely don’t have a rubber bung in the box? I can use silicone to seal it but I’d rather not.

That model does not have the removable plug/bung. You can just seal it if needed. I have one of my own cameras of the previous type where the gap is not covered and it's been like that for 4 years without issue. The cable assembly is waterproof anyway if installed correctly.
Thanks for replying yeah I do look out for odd bits falling out the box but i knew nothing was in the box and it looks like a plug/bung wouldn’t fit in anyway.

I totally misunderstood this model with hybrid light anyway because it’s replacing a broken 8MP DS-2CE72UF3T-E 2.8mm that has standard ColorVu that doesn’t require the light to be on for full colour at night. This new model has to have the light on to achieve colour.

What is the model that is 8MP and IP but has standard colorvu that doesn’t need the supplement light?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for replying yeah I do look out for odd bits falling out the box but i knew nothing was in the box and it looks like a plug/bung wouldn’t fit in anyway.

I totally misunderstood this model with hybrid light anyway because it’s replacing a broken 8MP DS-2CE72UF3T-E 2.8mm that has standard ColorVu that doesn’t require the light to be on for full colour at night. This new model has to have the light on to achieve colour.

What is the model that is 8MP and IP but has standard colorvu that doesn’t need the supplement light?

Thanks
I think you're possibly misunderstanding how ColorVu works...

ColorVu cameras are intended to be full time colour. Whether or not the light is on is dependant on whether there is enough light in the scene to produce an image. If there's no light then the camera is going to switch its own light on in order to provide enough light to the sensor to produce a colour exposure.

The older first generation ColorVu IP (DS-2CD2xx7G1-xx) cameras only have white light. They can be switched to monochrome but have no infra red LED. If there's not enough light they will use their own LED light. You can alter the exposure time to let more light in and in most cases you can prevent the LED illuminating that way. However that's at the expense of increased motion blur.

Second generation ColorVu IP (DS-2CD2xx7G2-xx). Color only, cannot be switched to monochrome. The white LED light will act as above.

Hybrid light ColorVu (DS-2CD2xx7G2H-xx). Colour/monochrome with both white LED and infra red supplement lights. They can operate in:

• full Colour mode where they will use the white LED as required (unless you adjust the exposure time to avoid it)
  • colour/mono mode where they will act as a standard camera switching to mono with IR on a night
  • smart mode - where they will act as colour/mono above but switch back to colour with white light when an event occurs
So in short there is no ColorVu that doesn't need the supplement light. It needs it if there's insufficient light and you want it in colour. All of my ColorVu cameras are in colour without the LED as I have low power dusk to dawn lights that produce sufficient light that the camera does not require its LED.

The model you mention being replaced is a HDTVi analogue not IP camera. Those cameras are forced to use slow shutter and aren't particularly configurable when it comes to adjusting the exposure time.

Thanks that’s a very good explanation of ColorVu. One of the best I’ve seen. I have DS-2CD2347G1-LU at the front of the house and DS-2CE72UF3T-E at the back of the house. I’ve never had to use the supplement light because of the street lights. At the back of the house it’s actually pitch black but the camera uses the light really well. Discusting as it sounds I’ve actually had a dog walker have a wee because they think they won’t be seen. The lens is steaming up on that one and I thought let’s try the new hybrid camera. I’m yet to fit the new one DS-2CD1383G2-LIU. I just assumed it would give me the option to still have colour like I have now without using its supplement light but I am going to give it a go because I don’t mind the light coming on at the back and it is a good deterrent. I will put a couple of pics on for examples but the back one is older as I don’t have a new one as it’s not working now.

Attachments

• IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I’m yet to fit the new one DS-2CD1383G2-LIU. I just assumed it would give me the option to still have colour like I have now without using its supplement light but I am going to give it a go because I don’t mind the light coming on at the back and it is a good deterrent. I will put a couple of pics on for examples but the back one is older as I don’t have a new one as it’s not working now.
You can have it work that way. You just need to make a couple of adjustments:

Option 1 - If you want it to be in colour 24/7 you could just log into the camera and in the Day/Night switch, change it from Auto to Day. Once it's dark alter/increase the exposure time until you get an acceptably exposed image. As previously stated the longer the exposure time, the more motion blur you will get.

Option 2 - Put it in Smart Mode. The camera will switch to monochrome when dark but back to colour and use the white light when it detects Humans in the scene.

I only use the DS-2CD2 series cameras so I don't know the capabilities of the model you've got. The camera I've got in my rear garden will stay in colour even with the limited illumination a few decking LEDs provide. My recommendation would be to use Option 2 as it's pointless having a colour image thats no use due to motion blur. Also if there's no one there there's no need for colour. There's a review of that camera from when I first installed it here:

Hybrid Light ColorVu Review

We've gone well off course from the title of this thread. Once you install the new one it might be better to start a fresh post for further info if you need.

Back