01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Optimising HikVision

PJD

Hi I was looking for some guidance and help with optimising my HikVision. I have 3 NVRS and aprox 40-50 cameras across 3 sites. I am using IVMS
4200. I have a bought a new PC with a RTX20ti graphics card. However my experience of getting optimal picture quality and a smooth experience for an extended period of time is a mixed bag. I could do with some help with understanding frame rates [FPS] Steam [Main/Subetc] Resolutions, Video Quality bitrate. If you need model numbers I can provide those would be grateful for any help

DS-7716NI-I4
Hikvision DS-7616NI-K2

These are two of the NVRS

Last edited:
Hi @PJD

The things to pay attention to will be the max bitrates, resolution, encoding version and frame rates of the cameras. If you have the video quality set to high, then changing this to medium will help significantly too

I would also enable H.265+ encoding on any of the cameras that aren't set up with smart events, as this is a really simple way to maximise the efficiency of the cameras with few drawbacks. This guide goes into the benefits of using H.265+ in detail - How Much Bandwidth and Storage does Hikvision's H.265+ Save?

Please find the different different terms explained below:
  • Frame Rate / Frames Per Second: How many stills per second make up the video. The more stills there are, then the smoother the video will be, but also the larger the bandwidth and storage requirements will be. We normally recommend 12-15FPS for the best balance between a smooth video and bandwidth / storage use.

• Sub Stream: This stream is usually of lower quality and is what is used when you stream your camera footage live in any mobile app, or on a PC.

• Main Stream: This stream is the one that is recorded to your NVR. If you adjust the bitrate here, you will be adjusting the quality of your recorded footage.

• Max Bitrate: The cap that you set on the bandwidth usage of your camera. If this is too low, then you will see issues with the video quality. There is a chart listing all the recommended maximum bitrate values for Hikvision cameras at the end of this thread - Understanding Bitrates

• Resolution: The number of pixels that make up the camera's image - the more pixels there are, then the more detailed the image will be and more bandwidth and storage space will be required.

Hello Kyle.

Are you recommending that cameras that are set up with smart events do not use H265+.
Thanks

Hi @gp116126

That is correct, this is because certain smart events and other camera functions are not supported when using H.265+

Okay thanks. Is there a guide somewhere that says what specifically isn't supported.

You should see a pop-up appear when you try to enable H.265+ that lists the functions that cannot be used while running H.265+

Hi @PJD

The things to pay attention to will be the max bitrates, resolution, encoding version and frame rates of the cameras. If you have the video quality set to high, then changing this to medium will help significantly too

I would also enable H.265+ encoding on any of the cameras that aren't set up with smart events, as this is a really simple way to maximise the efficiency of the cameras with few drawbacks. This guide goes into the benefits of using H.265+ in detail - How Much Bandwidth and Storage does Hikvision's H.265+ Save?

Please find the different different terms explained below:
  • Frame Rate / Frames Per Second: How many stills per second make up the video. The more stills there are, then the smoother the video will be, but also the larger the bandwidth and storage requirements will be. We normally recommend 12-15FPS for the best balance between a smooth video and bandwidth / storage use.

• Sub Stream: This stream is usually of lower quality and is what is used when you stream your camera footage live in any mobile app, or on a PC.

• Main Stream: This stream is the one that is recorded to your NVR. If you adjust the bitrate here, you will be adjusting the quality of your recorded footage.

• Max Bitrate: The cap that you set on the bandwidth usage of your camera. If this is too low, then you will see issues with the video quality. There is a chart listing all the recommended maximum bitrate values for Hikvision cameras at the end of this thread - Understanding Bitrates

• Resolution: The number of pixels that make up the camera's image - the more pixels there are, then the more detailed the image will be and more bandwidth and storage space will be required.

Hi thanks for the reply it's took me a few days to setup so didn't want to come back without a good idea of everything I have done. This is how I have setup everything

Main Stream to WQHD,
Frame Rate 15FPS,
Video Quality Medium
Max Bitrate 3020 KBPs
H265+ Encoding on all cameras
Variable Bitrate

Sub Stream
QVGA Resolution 640x480
Video Quality Medium
Max Bitrate 320KBPS
Frame Rate 15FPS
Video Quality Medium
Variable Bitrate

I am running IVMS 3.3.1.7

Play performance balance
Hardware Decoding preferred

When I am watching a live view I normally watch 7 cameras at a time all the cameras set to sub stream and high definition.

This works OK for a while then the cameras begin to pix-elate and grind to a halt. is there any other settings I can change. Or Am I going wrong in the settings?

PC Spec i9 9900K 32Gb Ram RTX 3280Ti Graphics

ALSO if we are only concerned with the SubStream on IVMS is it neccesary to reduce the res. vid q and frame rates etc on the main stream?

Ps the firmware need to be updated on the Cameras and the NVRS and that is the next thing I will be doing

Last edited:
Unsure why you are seeing this pixelation issue, please bring everything up-to-date and try again.
Latest firmware on all the cameras.
Latest firmware on the NVR.
Latest version of iVMS-4200.

Unsure why you are seeing this pixelation issue, please bring everything up-to-date and try again.
Latest firmware on all the cameras.
Latest firmware on the NVR.
Latest version of iVMS-4200.

Seems to be working fine now. Using around 40-50% of the GPU and 1.2GB of shared Ram and 3Gb of GPU Ram. I tried to set it up at home last night but that PC has a GTX970 And I did some reading but that card does not allow full use of the GPU for the Video Decoding and uses 50% of the CPU and that struggled. Used it on a 12 cam view and it has been ok so far. So really you do need a pretty solid GPU for iVMS

I updated to the latest firmware on the NVR no usable playback on HikConnect and IVMS keeps freezing every 1-2 seconds would it be best to revert back to previous firmware ?

Which firmware version are you running on the NVR please?
Try a power-cycle of the NVR.

Hi thanks
DS-7732NI-I4 is the NVR
NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.40.015_200616 Is the firmware we applied
I did try a power cycle earlier on

I asked Hik if a revert to previous firmware would be ok and they did not recommend that

They recommended trying to repair the database

Exporting config
Factory resetting
and then importing config

I was thinking of retrying to update the firmware

IMHO:
A factory reset does sometimes improve issues.
The update process either works or it doesn't i.e. I've not known doing the same update again to help.

IMHO:
A factory reset does sometimes improve issues.
The update process either works or it doesn't i.e. I've not known doing the same update again to help.

I went to site redid the firmware and power cycled the NVR this however hasn't made any improvement to the remote playback.

Checked the hard drives they are all healthy. Checked the ethernet and the broadband this is all working fine.

The other site which has 2 NVRS are both working fine on IVMS and HikConnect.

Does seem like a Firmware issue.

If I do factory reset the NVR and export the configuration will this save all the camera information including the information of the cameras on the POE switch?

KR

Update: I got through to a HIK agent and he has come across this issue before I would be the third person. And he thinks the fix is to repair the database which I will do tonight and leave over night. The other peculiar problem is that no remote configuration of the cameras is now available on the same network or remotely on IVMS which is another thing they want to take a look at.

Last edited:
Hey @Phil

Does H265 use more CPU resources than H264 ?
I am am contemplating going to h264 instead of h265 as I think with the 4MP cameras the NVR just cannot cope to compress it as hard.

grasping at straws here, but question is;

NVR hardware resources wise ,
resoltuon / fps / etc all kept the same what will have the biggest impact CPU wise;

12 x 4MP @ h264
or
12 x 4MP @ h265

PS: I do not use h265+ because you cannot download those videos via HikConnect, not supported on the majority of phones, especially Apple.

Yes, the resource used increases with increasing compression.
Frame rate has a big impact too, if you need to reduce the burden.
Of course, resolution too, but most people would want to use the resolution they have paid for!
e.g. nobody wants to dumb-down a 4K camera to be a 4MP camera ...

True.

Well let me try that, I will keep all the settings as it is & then go from h265 to h264 and see if that improved remote viewing

It's a 100Mbps upload Fiber connection

Question;
I have this NVR: DS-7732NXI-I4/4S, it states "Up to 256 Mbps high incoming bandwidth"

Can I then up the bitrate of the cameras on the main-stream to the max, 16Mbps each ( the cameras are: DS-2CD2347G2-L ), or will that impact the NVR's hardware resources detrimentally?

9 x 16Mbps = 144Mbps which is well below the "rated" 256Mbps it can handle?

I want to get the best picture quality, not too concerned about space ( 4 x 8TB hard drives )

Hey @Phil

Does H265 use more CPU resources than H264 ?
I am am contemplating going to h264 instead of h265 as I think with the 4MP cameras the NVR just cannot cope to compress it as hard.

grasping at straws here, but question is;

NVR hardware resources wise ,
resoltuon / fps / etc all kept the same what will have the biggest impact CPU wise;

12 x 4MP @ h264
or
12 x 4MP @ h265

PS: I do not use h265+ because you cannot download those videos via HikConnect, not supported on the majority of phones, especially Apple.
Yes is the answer but the compression is done in the camera, not the NVR. However, decompression is done in the NVR (or PC if you don't use an NVR) and you get what you pay for in terms of NVR core processors as decompressing 4/8/12MP H265 video is a big ask which some PCs struggle with. If disk space isn't a problem, H264 is faster, more dependable, ubiquitous and huge.

Yes is the answer but the compression is done in the camera, not the NVR. However, decompression is done in the NVR (or PC if you don't use an NVR) and you get what you pay for in terms of NVR core processors as decompressing 4/8/12MP H265 video is a big ask which some PCs struggle with. If disk space isn't a problem, H264 is faster, more dependable, ubiquitous and huge.
Answered my question, thank you and thanks Phil on the original

Can I then up the bitrate of the cameras on the main-stream to the max, 16Mbps each ( the cameras are: DS-2CD2347G2-L ), or will that impact the NVR's hardware resources detrimentally?

9 x 16Mbps = 144Mbps which is well below the "rated" 256Mbps it can handle?
I can give feedback on this, the NVR absolutely falls flat on it's face when I increase the bitrate of the cameras.
As in it falls FLAT, live stream direct from the HDMI port even lags and shutters on the sub stream ( 9 camera view ) when I up the bitrate in the main stream, which tells me the resources of the NVR just isn't enough to back up their inbound 256Mbps claim.

Back