01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

POE port problems with my new Hikvision M-series NVR?

Hello everyone,

As most first posts on these forums seem to be seeking help with a particular problem, I thought I'd be a little different and use my first post to offer a 'possible' solution. Or, more accurately, a workaround as opposed to an actual solution.

Like John A, I have also 'upgraded' to the M series NVR from an I series and I too am experiencing similar problems to those which he describes.

Background details:-

My previous NVR was a DS-7716NI 14/16P which had 11 IP cameras connected. I started with 4MP cameras and slowly added to my system over time including three 4K cameras until I was beginning to exceed my incoming bandwidth limit. Varying the camera settings allowed the NVR to function adequately although slightly sluggish in operation when accessing the menu.

I operate the NVR by having a 4k monitor directly connected via HDMI.

When I read about the release of the new M series NVR's with higher incoming bandwidth allowance I decided to purchase the DS-7716NI-M4/16P model.

This new NVR was set up using the same settings as my previous model although I now only have 9 cameras connected. (A combination of Hikvision Turret and Cube models) The 9 cameras are connected to the PoE ports D1 to D9. Within a few minutes of getting the system up and running I started to notice certain cameras were pausing intermittently on the live view display. This pause would last anywhere from half a second up to 5 seconds and then the view would catch up again. Also, after leaving the system running for several hours I was seeing some of the cameras dropping out altogether for a few seconds before resuming their picture. These picture drop outs seemed to be occurring completely randomly. After a few days I looked at the reporting log files under Maintenance / Log Info / Exception and several instances of 'IP Camera Disconnected' were showing in the list. Again these disconnects all seemed to be occurring at random times. One day I got 32 camera disconnects and the following day just 2. An average seems to be around 16 to 20 camera disconnects in a 24 hour period.

I left the system running for about a week and the same pattern was repeating with constant camera disconnects being reported. However, after further investigation I noticed that only the cameras on D1, D2, D3, D4 and D9 were suffering from these disconnects. Cameras on D5, D6 D7 and D8 never reported any disconnects at all. The same cameras which were disconnecting are also the ones suffering from the live view pauses. D5,D6,D7 and D8 never pause during live view.

D1 has a 4K camera connected and so does D6 and D7.

Today, while trying once again to solve this problem I decided to swap cameras between D1 and D7. Both are 4K cameras, one of which is suffering disconnects (D1) and the other which isn't (D7). A short time later I observed the camera now connected to D1 to be suffering the live view pauses but the camera now on D7 was working fine. This pointed to a problem with D1 PoE port and not the camera.

The next step in my investigation was to remove the camera from D1 and plug it into the D16 PoE port. That was about 4 hours ago now and since doing that I haven't seen a pause from any of the 9 cameras in live view or any camera disconnects reported. I know it's only 4 hours but I can tell that the system is running much more smoothly now since removing the camera from the D1 port.

I've no idea if this is a complete coincidence or a temporary thing, only time will tell.

John A was suspecting a power supply problem on the PoE ports. In my case I didn't think that was the problem because the camera drop outs last a few seconds and the picture comes back on in live view. If the power to the camera had been lost even for a split second then the camera would have to boot up again which would take a good 30 seconds or so. Also, the power for each camera is showing to be around 4 to 5 Watts and all the cameras combined are using around 16% of the total available.

My initial thoughts were pointing towards a network settings error somewhere causing a conflict. Unfortunately my understanding of networks is very limited and I don't have sufficient in depth knowledge to know if one or more of my settings is incorrect. JB1970 mentions also having 9 cameras on a 16 channel M series and all are running without any problems. It's obvious from reading his posts that his (or her) knowledge of networks is far superior to mine so maybe I've got a setting wrong somewhere which could be causing this problem.

My NVR might have a fault with the D1 port or as I say, it might be a network setting error. But, at the moment things seem to be working OK. I'll leave it a few days and report my findings back on here. I'm never going to have 16 cameras installed on my system so being unable to use D1 isn't really a problem to me.

I would be interested to know if this workaround solves a similar problem that anyone else might be experiencing.

I purposely haven't included the various camera models because everything worked fine with the previous NVR so I'm almost certain it isn't a camera or connecting Cat 5 cable issue.

Sorry for the long introductory post on the forum but I've tried to explain things as clearly as possible.

John H.

I've just had another thought. Maybe the M series models are not suitable for anyone named John.

Hello everyone,

As most first posts on these forums seem to be seeking help with a particular problem, I thought I'd be a little different and use my first post to offer a 'possible' solution. Or, more accurately, a workaround as opposed to an actual solution.

Like John A, I have also 'upgraded' to the M series NVR from an I series and I too am experiencing similar problems to those which he describes.

Background details:-

My previous NVR was a DS-7716NI 14/16P which had 11 IP cameras connected. I started with 4MP cameras and slowly added to my system over time including three 4K cameras until I was beginning to exceed my incoming bandwidth limit. Varying the camera settings allowed the NVR to function adequately although slightly sluggish in operation when accessing the menu.

I operate the NVR by having a 4k monitor directly connected via HDMI.

When I read about the release of the new M series NVR's with higher incoming bandwidth allowance I decided to purchase the DS-7716NI-M4/16P model.

This new NVR was set up using the same settings as my previous model although I now only have 9 cameras connected. (A combination of Hikvision Turret and Cube models) The 9 cameras are connected to the PoE ports D1 to D9. Within a few minutes of getting the system up and running I started to notice certain cameras were pausing intermittently on the live view display. This pause would last anywhere from half a second up to 5 seconds and then the view would catch up again. Also, after leaving the system running for several hours I was seeing some of the cameras dropping out altogether for a few seconds before resuming their picture. These picture drop outs seemed to be occurring completely randomly. After a few days I looked at the reporting log files under Maintenance / Log Info / Exception and several instances of 'IP Camera Disconnected' were showing in the list. Again these disconnects all seemed to be occurring at random times. One day I got 32 camera disconnects and the following day just 2. An average seems to be around 16 to 20 camera disconnects in a 24 hour period.

I left the system running for about a week and the same pattern was repeating with constant camera disconnects being reported. However, after further investigation I noticed that only the cameras on D1, D2, D3, D4 and D9 were suffering from these disconnects. Cameras on D5, D6 D7 and D8 never reported any disconnects at all. The same cameras which were disconnecting are also the ones suffering from the live view pauses. D5,D6,D7 and D8 never pause during live view.

D1 has a 4K camera connected and so does D6 and D7.

Today, while trying once again to solve this problem I decided to swap cameras between D1 and D7. Both are 4K cameras, one of which is suffering disconnects (D1) and the other which isn't (D7). A short time later I observed the camera now connected to D1 to be suffering the live view pauses but the camera now on D7 was working fine. This pointed to a problem with D1 PoE port and not the camera.

The next step in my investigation was to remove the camera from D1 and plug it into the D16 PoE port. That was about 4 hours ago now and since doing that I haven't seen a pause from any of the 9 cameras in live view or any camera disconnects reported. I know it's only 4 hours but I can tell that the system is running much more smoothly now since removing the camera from the D1 port.

I've no idea if this is a complete coincidence or a temporary thing, only time will tell.

John A was suspecting a power supply problem on the PoE ports. In my case I didn't think that was the problem because the camera drop outs last a few seconds and the picture comes back on in live view. If the power to the camera had been lost even for a split second then the camera would have to boot up again which would take a good 30 seconds or so. Also, the power for each camera is showing to be around 4 to 5 Watts and all the cameras combined are using around 16% of the total available.

My initial thoughts were pointing towards a network settings error somewhere causing a conflict. Unfortunately my understanding of networks is very limited and I don't have sufficient in depth knowledge to know if one or more of my settings is incorrect. JB1970 mentions also having 9 cameras on a 16 channel M series and all are running without any problems. It's obvious from reading his posts that his (or her) knowledge of networks is far superior to mine so maybe I've got a setting wrong somewhere which could be causing this problem.

My NVR might have a fault with the D1 port or as I say, it might be a network setting error. But, at the moment things seem to be working OK. I'll leave it a few days and report my findings back on here. I'm never going to have 16 cameras installed on my system so being unable to use D1 isn't really a problem to me.

I would be interested to know if this workaround solves a similar problem that anyone else might be experiencing.

I purposely haven't included the various camera models because everything worked fine with the previous NVR so I'm almost certain it isn't a camera or connecting Cat 5 cable issue.

Sorry for the long introductory post on the forum but I've tried to explain things as clearly as possible.

John H.

I've just had another thought. Maybe the M series models are not suitable for anyone named John.
Hello John,
I'm still putting my penny on the psu, they can make things unstable with fluctuating voltages and feed without complete failure. Just one thing I didn't mention before I sent back to be checked was I could hear it faintly squealing like a water heater - capacitor? I hope this is the case as it would explain all and would be an easy fix. There again I might be completely wrong

Hi John,
I haven't noticed any squealing noises from my NVR but unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the drawing board this morning. I've checked the 'Exception' log files and there's been 31 IP Camera Disconnected reports between 3.43 am and 10.48 am today. But strangely, after I'd removed the camera from the D1 port at 17.25 pm yesterday there were no disconnects until 3.43 am this morning. I'm struggling to make sense of why it was working fine for just over 10 hours and then followed by so many disconnects. And it's the same ports which are disconnecting. D2, D3, D4 and D9. (D1 isn't now on that list because there's no camera connected to it). With 31 disconnects before mid day today, it looks like the problem is worse not better.

I'll do some more port swapping later when I've got time and see what happens then.

John H

Thanks @John H and @John A for all the information and your more than reasonable approach to these issues that you are experiencing.

You have got my spidey-sense twitching!
Something does not seem quite right.

@Kyle and @Dan are about to leap into action and:
  • Load-up our demo M-series NVR with an increasing number of POE-powered cameras to see if we can cause a problem (checking the logs as we go)
  • We will also have @John A 's NVR back here very soon for testing / comparison
  • We'll also track & trace serial numbers and batches
  • Share with Hikvision Tech Support - ask if they have seen similar reports?
  • Feed back to Hik TS a few other issues we've discussed internally (Hik-Connect / DDNS / Events)
  • Ask them if there is any new firmware incoming?

Rest assured that these new NVRs have a long warranty and that we will do whatever is needed to resolve any issues - we just need a little while to investigate and work out what you are seeing here and what the best course of action is.

Thanks also, as per many times before, to @JB1970 for his greatly valued input.

Last edited:
Hi John,
I haven't noticed any squealing noises from my NVR but unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the drawing board this morning. I've checked the 'Exception' log files and there's been 31 IP Camera Disconnected reports between 3.43 am and 10.48 am today. But strangely, after I'd removed the camera from the D1 port at 17.25 pm yesterday there were no disconnects until 3.43 am this morning. I'm struggling to make sense of why it was working fine for just over 10 hours and then followed by so many disconnects. And it's the same ports which are disconnecting. D2, D3, D4 and D9. (D1 isn't now on that list because there's no camera connected to it). With 31 disconnects before mid day today, it looks like the problem is worse not better.

I'll do some more port swapping later when I've got time and see what happens then.

John H
My issue is more severe, I could just watch the pauses/slows. More IPCs and they disconnect. If you have a separate POE switch I would use it to see if the problem is gone - would be some faffing getting the IPCs back on the Internet provider hub subnet.

Thanks @John H and @John A for all the information and your more than reasonable approach to these issues that you are experiencing.

You have got my spidey-sense twitching!
Something does not seem quite right.

@Kyle and @Dan are about to leap into action and:
  • Load-up our demo M-series NVR with an increasing number of POE-powered cameras to see if we can cause a problem (checking the logs as we go)
  • We will also have @John A 's NVR back here very soon for testing / comparison
  • We'll also track & trace serial numbers and batches
  • Share with Hikvision Tech Support - ask if they have seen similar reports?
  • Feed back to Hik TS a few other issues we've discussed internally (Hik-Connect / DDNS / Events)

Rest assured that these new NVRs have a long warranty and that we will do whatever is needed to resolve any issues - we just need a little while to investigate and work out what you are seeing here and what the best course of action is.

Thanks also, as per many times before, to @JB1970 for his greatly valued input.
Thank you Phil!

I hope new firmware is coming. All versions for the M series appeared in the portal at the same time and there have been no updates since release. There are several issues:

1. Smart playback doesn't play a 5 second intro to the trigger event. It does if you draw a new line or area on screen but does not show the intro for any pre configured event. This is also happening on other models with recent firmware
  2. I'm fairly sure (but could be wrong and haven't checked) that Smart Playback used to show markers for Alarm Input events. It doesn't anymore
  3. Doing a Custom search and selecting 'Alarm Input' returns 'no results' despite alarm inputs being linked to 'trigger channel' and multiple events occurring (the events trigger correctly and 'notify surveillance centre' but do not appear listed in a custom search)
  4. Switching between Smart Playback and Normal Playback maintains timeline position for seamless playback. Switching between Normal Playback and Smart Playback does not - it jumps to the first event of the day instead of jumping forward to the next event after the previous Normal Playback timeline position. This was broken on all versions of I series after 4.40.017 and unfortunately has carried through to the M series. It is also broken on other NVR/DVR models and in some cases going between Smart and Normal playback tabs resets the playback position to midnight which is woeful if you're trying to continue watching something post event.
My gut feeling is that things are getting worse with regard to Hikvision bugs as the issues don't seem to get resolved and more are appearing.

Just to give an update before the weekend on these problems...

All of the bugs reported by @JB1970 above (and the others that Phil mentioned) have been reported, so I'll follow up with more information and hopefully good news about new firmware.

We've begun testing on the NVR @John A has sent back, with 4x cameras on the POE ports, and a further 6 or so connected via a POE switch - we're seeing indications of similar issues and a slight lag on the directly-connected cameras already, but are going to leave everything running over the weekend and assess properly on Monday - I've also asked Hikvision about this.
(We've briefly tested on our 7608NI-M2/8P, but haven't seen any similar problems with this yet.)

I'll be back with another update when I know more!

Thank you for the update Kyle.

John A, I don't have a separate PoE switch unfortunately so I'm unable to try that option.

Here's a bit of an update on my findings so far.

I've tried cameras in various ports to see which ones are stable and which are disconnecting and there seems to be a
pattern emerging. I've marked a picture to indicate which ports are working fine and which are not indicated by green ticks or red crosses respectively. I still need to test D10, D11 and D12. It takes a while because each time I move a camera to another port I have to leave it a day to see what happens.

As you can see from this picture it appears that the PoE ports are split vertically into 2 halves. I'm wondering if the circuit board provides power and or data connections separately to each group of 4 ports?

With 8 of the 9 cameras connected to the right half of the PoE ports, I only had 1 camera disconnect on the D9 port in 24 hours.

I'll continue my testing over the weekend by trying the remaining 3 ports one at a time for a day each. Going by the pattern that's emerging, I would expect to see 3 red crosses on the remaining ports. But we'll see.

Just a side note. The picture I used isn't my specific model but for the purposes of what I'm trying to explain, any 16 port picture will do.

John H.

NVR PoE Ports.jpg

A brief update.

PoE ports D10 and D11 have both suffered video loss. I'm now trying the final one D12 but it's increasingly looking like my theory is correct that there's a 50/50 split between working and non working ports.

Another forum member based in the US 'hurri10209' has reported the same problem that I'm getting. I've advised him to try using ports D5 to D8 for his 4 cameras. I'll be very interested to know if that works for him.

John A, Is your NVR the same model as mine? ( DS-7716NI-M4/16P)

John H.

After several days of port swapping and testing the results, I can now confirm that any cameras connected to ports D1 to D4 and D9 to D12 are suffering random video loss of signal and sluggish operation in live view. And ports D5 to D8 and D11 to D16 work absolutely fine.

My initial thoughts were that this is a hardware fault with the left side 8 ports or some other component connected to them. But, another thing I've noticed during testing has made me reconsider that thought. The majority of these camera disconnects are occurring during the night. Not all of them, but a rough estimate would be at least 90% of them are. If this was a hardware fault then I would expect these disconnects to be more spread out during any 24 hour period. Although, during the day time when there's very few disconnects, the Live View mode still displays random sluggish images.

I hope this information might be of some help to point the Hikvision engineers towards the source of the problem.

I'm currently running 9 cameras connected to my NVR so 8 of them are working fine. I can live with that for a while. But I intended to add another 2 at some point this year and as things stand at the moment, that's not an option with this NVR only able to operate at 50% capacity.

John H.

Sorry for the lack of update everyone...

We've been testing the NVR @John A has returned to us, but haven't seen the exact same POE port issues discussed above yet.
We're currently at 10x on POE ports 1-10, and 8x connected via a separate switch, all via factory-made patch leads.
(A mixture of fixed Colorvu, IR, and varifocal bullets)

Until last night, everything was behaving normally - no errors in the logs, no problems with live view, and recordings flawless on all cameras.

However, we noticed today that the local GUI had locked up and every camera was frozen at ~3AM last night (all had their LEDs turned on).
This didn't self-correct until we rebooted the NVR, at which point everything returned to normal again.
Weirdly, no issues at all with the recordings / no signs of any problems in the logs.

I'm waiting for some further input from Hikvision as I sent a detailed update this afternoon.

Are you happy to persist with your 7716NI-M2/16P for a little longer please @John H and live with the 8 working cameras - while we wait to hear more from Hikvison?
(BTW - the model that we're testing is the 7732NI-M2/16P, so very similar.)

I've also passed on the bugs reported by @JB1970 and will follow up with an update on these too.

fullboogie, I did consider the same thing and did try turning off the IR light as part of the test but it didn't make any difference. Also, I've monitored the power draw for all connected cameras and there's no excess power being used on the failing ports.

Thank you for the update Kyle and yes I'm happy to continue using my NVR with the 8 working cameras for a while yet until hopefully we get some update from Hikvision.

John H.

fullboogie, I did consider the same thing and did try turning off the IR light as part of the test but it didn't make any difference. Also, I've monitored the power draw for all connected cameras and there's no excess power being used on the failing ports.

Thank you for the update Kyle and yes I'm happy to continue using my NVR with the 8 working cameras for a while yet until hopefully we get some update from Hikvision.

John H.

I hope it gets resolved. But I can assure you we all appreciate your efforts.

Thanks @John H

Just to update you before the weekend, Hikvision Support are investigating and testing for the same problems internally.

We now have all 16 POE ports populated on the NVR we're testing here and are keeping an eye on things...

Hi all,
I am having what sounds like exactly the same issue on my new DS-7716NI-M4/16P. I have cameras plugged into ports 1-8 and I am getting ‘Video signal lost’ errors on ports 1-4 (only).

I’ve had the M-series NVR for a couple of weeks now and first there were no errors but suddenly in last 24hrs I’ve received >70 error notifications from ports 1-4.

For me the errors don’t seem to be limited to or more frequent when it is dark; it happens around the clock.

Hope that helps in trying to figure out what is going on.

Hello John,
I'm still putting my penny on the psu, they can make things unstable with fluctuating voltages and feed without complete failure. Just one thing I didn't mention before I sent back to be checked was I could hear it faintly squealing like a water heater - capacitor? I hope this is the case as it would explain all and would be an easy fix. There again I might be completely wrong
I wonder if it is a switch mode PSU with intermittent stability problems, it would be interesting to connect a voltage data logger to monitor the various voltages.

Thanks @David
We and Hikvision Tech Support are trying to get to the bottom of the issue(s).
Once we/they have a clearer idea of the root cause we'll implement remedial action.
We will keep updating this thread.
Please allow us 48hrs - Monday madness, and the team have been hit by human bugs! (x2 WFH/off today) :(

Back