01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

When maybe wireless is best?

Stewy

I have read extensively the arguments for and against wireless cameras. I understand the logic that if you have to have a cable for power anyway, then much of the apparent simplicity of wireless is lost and you might as well run a single cable that does both the job of providing power and of transmitting data.
However, in my case I am looking to provide coverage at the bottom of my garden and drive. Two cameras could cover the entire area, one mounted on the garage wall and one a shed wall. Both of these outbuildings already have mains power and line-of-sight to my home office in the house, where ideally I would locate a recording device.
Hence I see great advantage in wireless cameras, which would preclude the need for running long cables which would have to cross paved surfaces somehow and require holes in the wall of the house. Power could be supplied quite simply from inside the shed and garage to each camera.
From an aesthetics point of view, I would prefer a more subtle dome style camera.
Is there anything I am missing in my thought process? Are there any cameras that would suit my desired requirements?

Hi Stewy,

You might want to check with your phone at the proposed camera mounting sites that you're able to maintain a reliable wireless connection to your house first. Whilst not a perfect comparison, it does give a good indicator of what sort of signal to expect.

If you're able to keep a strong connection, I can't see anything that you might have overlooked.

You could always look towards a powerline adaptor solution perhaps? In conjunction with a POE injector between the camera and the local powerline adaptor, you could maintain a wired network connection without having to run new cable from your garage and shed.

Otherwise though, you might wish to investigate the two dome cameras below.
Both models have proven to be very popular for residential applications, particularly the DS-2CD2542FWD-I due to its smaller size - the dome is slightly larger than a golf ball. The DS-2CD2142FWD-I is vandal resistant and has IR rated for 30m range, whereas the 2542 has a 10m range.

The DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP EXIR turret camera would provide you with better, more even IR coverage, and tends to have fewer problems with spiders. It's not vandal resistant, but overall you can expect better night performance from this design.

Kieran,
Thanks for that insightful reply. Yes, I had confirmed that 3 different phones all had adequate wireless connection at the end of the garden.

However, I am intrigued by your suggestion of using power line adapters to maintain a wired connection. In a previous home I had successfully used this tactic to provide a phone extension in a workshop. However, when I recently picked the brains of a technician who was upgrading my neighbour's alarm system (including use of adapters) he told me the adapters have to be on the same circuit and also not on an extension lead. I was a bit surprised by that comment but as he wasn't working for me, I didn't take up his time with further questions.

My experience says they do work on different circuits in the same home. I suppose that his response may be the official instructions of his company, possibly just to ensure the most reliable or fastest connections?

Do you have a view on this? If I have a fully wired system, would that change your camera recommendation?

Many thanks
Stewy

My own experience has been that they work on different circuits in the same home too, but often at degraded throughput and reliability. I've always seen references to not use adaptors on extension leads for example, across a number of different powerline adaptor manufacturers, so I'd definitely steer you away from doing so wherever possible.

Your technician's view would definitely carry more weight than my own though.

Back