01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Consistency of Hik Connect and iVMS4200

Well I've done the test and all of the ports are open and I can get to the website on my pc and my phone but still no 'Live View' available.

Should I have DDNS enabled? I did enable it but in the status box in 'Configuration' it says 'Connect to server failed'

No - as you've registered your system with Hik Connect, DDNS is not needed in your case. Have you carried out these steps from message #8 further up?

Thats it done for the NVR and router. In your Hik Connect app:
  1. Click on your site
  2. Click the three dots in the top right corner
  3. Click settings then Configure DDNS
  4. Set port mapping mode to manual then enter the server port (50001), http port (50000) along with your NVR admin username and password

Yes I've done everything to the letter. I have also done as you say on my phone and when I press 'save' a message pops up to say 'Failed to connect to the server'.
If you say I don't need DDNS as I've registered with Hik-Connect, why do I need to configure it on my phoen?

I think that I'm fighting a lost cause, don't you!

Yes I've done everything to the letter. I have also done as you say on my phone and when I press 'save' a message pops up to say 'Failed to connect to the server'.
If you say I don't need DDNS as I've registered with Hik-Connect, why do I need to configure it on my phoen?

I think that I'm fighting a lost cause, don't you!
A quick explanation of DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name Service). That IP address you found earlier will change regularly. We connect to a system (or website) using it's IP address but if we enter that address in our app/web browser, it'll only work as long as the IP address remains the same. As soon as it changes, you won't be able to connect to your system again until you find out what the new address is and update the address in your app to match - which is not very convenient. DDNS is a method of tracking that ever changing address. In the case of Hik Connect, your system reports its external IP address to the Hikvision server along with the serial number of your NVR and they store it (using the serial number as your domain). Your app (when you are logged in) connects to your system using the serial number/domain of your NVR. If the IP address changes on your router, the NVR sends the new address to the Hikvision server so it can be updated. This means you (and your app) don't need to be aware of the changing IP address as your domain remains the same.

If when you installed the app, you registered the system with Hik Connect (by scanning the barcode with your phone or entering the serial number online) then Hikvision are providing DDNS for your system. The "Enable DDNS" on the NVR menu is for people who aren't using Hik Connect and are using a third party DDNS account to do the same. That's how I do my systems when I install them - I provide all of my customers with their own DDNS address for their system such as mycctvsystem.dyndns.com for them to connect to and enter the relevant account details in their router to do the updates. Hikvision provide their own service to make it easier for the end user to get connected themselves (which unlike the third party providers is free)

On your phone in the Hik Connect app if you click the "More" icon at the bottom right - are you logged in to your account? And in the NVR - Network > Advanced Settings > Platform Access is Hik Connect showing that it's online?

Yes I am logged into my account and yes it is showing as being on-line
Ok you should be all set then. Try again to do the DDNS settings within the Hik Connect app - change to manual, add the two port numbers and enter your username and password before saving. The username and password it's asking for there are the admin username and password for your NVR, NOT your HiK Connect username and password which may be different.

If it doesn't let you make the change, try logging out of Hik Connect, then logging back in again before trying again. With everything showing online it should be fine.

I have deleted the app and then downloaded it again and went through everything as instructed. After enabling DDNS with the correct port numbers I got the message 'Saving Completed' but when I try to make the connection and view, it is once again telling me that 'The network is unstable. Connecting again'

When I go on-line via Internet Explorer and then go into 'Configuration/camera management' it is showing both cameras as being on-line but I notice that it is showing the management port for both cameras as 8000 and, then end column titled 'Activation' with the word 'Join' beneath that, there is nothing showing against either camera. I don't know if that is relevant or not. Here is an image of what I am referring to.....

Also, regarding the router settings. At the moment the Firewall Rule settings for IPv4 are showing as Access - Any with no start or finish addresses, I'm wondering if it should be 'Address range' with start and finish addresses as per the attached images.

Attachments

• Cameras.jpg
    Cameras.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IPv4 Settings.jpg
    IPv4 Settings.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 159
  • IPv4 Settings_2.jpg
    IPv4 Settings_2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I have deleted the app and then downloaded it again and went through everything as instructed. After enabling DDNS with the correct port numbers I got the message 'Saving Completed' but when I try to make the connection and view, it is once again telling me that 'The network is unstable. Connecting again'

When I go on-line via Internet Explorer and then go into 'Configuration/camera management' it is showing both cameras as being on-line but I notice that it is showing the management port for both cameras as 8000 and, then end column titled 'Activation' with the word 'Join' beneath that, there is nothing showing against either camera. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

Yeah that's normal. The cameras connected directly to the NVR are managed via Port 8000.

The connection is there, the port forwarding is working, the NVR is logged in to Hik Connect, and so is your app so you shouldn't be having any issues. Lets see if the app will work while just connecting to your system on your WiFi - taking the Hik Connect service out of the equation. To do that you just add another site in your Hik Connect app. You can do this as follows:

1. Click the + in the top right corner, then select manual adding
  2. Change adding type to "IP/Domain"
  3. Change Alias to "Home - WiFi" or anything else you like
  4. Address - set to 192.168.0.20
  5. Port - set to 50001
  6. User Name - admin
  7. Password - enter your admin password
  8. Click save icon top right corner
That should allow you to see your cameras on the Hik connect app while you are at home with your phone connected to your WiFi. Because that's simply using you're own WiFi, excluding everything else, you should get a stable connection regardless.

At the top of the screen it is showing as 'Home-WiFi-Camera 01

Below that are two squares, one for each camera but, in each square there is a message which says 'No more connection is allowed'

At the top of the screen it is showing as 'Home-WiFi-Camera 01

Below that are two squares, one for each camera but, in each square there is a message which says 'No more connection is allowed'

That's a strange one, I've never seen that before. I would be surprised if you had exceeded the maximum number of connections to your NVR. Reboot your NVR which will drop any connections, wait a few minutes (for the cameras to boot up) and then go to that same site (Home-WiFi) again on your app and see if you get the same result.

yes I've done that and yes I can see the live view of both cameras. The only strange thing with what I've done is that the time showing is one hour behind!!

Looking at the menu the time seems to have reverted to GMT.

I have now got live view via Internet explorer

Where do you think that this leaves me with regard to accessing my NVR/cameras away from home/WiFi?

Last edited:
yes I've done that and yes I can see the live view of both cameras. The only strange thing with what I've done is that the time showing is one hour behind!!

Ok GMT is what it should be and then the daylight savings settings are entered to alter it automatically for you.

In the System, Time Settings page enter uk.pool.ntp.org as the server address, 123 as the port and 60 mins as the time interval. That will keep your time in sync from the internet so it’s always accurate. Then enable DST and set Last Sunday in March 01:00, Last Sunday in October 02:00.

I have now got live view via Internet explorer

Where do you think that this leaves me with regard to accessing my NVR/cameras away from home/WiFi?
Sorry @Bluenose1940 I missed the last two paragraphs of your response (I was reading it on my phone while making a curry!)

So you have it working locally but it still doesn't work when you try via Hik Connect. To prove this is an issue with your connection to the Hik Connect service you can add another site but this time use the current external IP addresss of your router.

1. Check your current external IP address by going to What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More on your PC and make a note of it. It may have changed since yesterday.
  2. Temporarily switch off the WiFi on your phone
  3. In the app click the + in the top right corner, then select manual adding
  4. Change adding type to "IP/Domain"
  5. Change Alias to "Home - Mobile" or anything else to differentiate it
  6. Address - set to the external IP address you noted in step 1
  7. Port - set to 50001
  8. User Name - admin
  9. Password - enter your admin password
  10. Click save icon top right corner
So long as you have a 3G or 4G connection on your phone, you should now be able to see your cameras. Your WiFi is off at this point so everything is being routed through the internet, but without using the Hik Connect service. If this is working correctly it proves that the issue is with the registration or connection of your NVR to Hikvisions Hik Connect server.

As your external IP address will change regularly this is not really a solution as you'd need to keep updating the external IP address as it changes. That's why the Hik Connect DDNS service is there - to get around that problem. I do see numerous posts on this forum where people are having issues with their system either not registering or unexpectedly going offline from the Hik Connect service. That's why I always use a third party DDNS for my customers systems - as I have a degree of control when something goes wrong.

Hi again JB1970,

Following your instructions, that is all working fine now. The IP address is still the same as yesterday. Why do providers find it necessary to keep changing it?
How can I overcome the problem of not being able to view my cameras when away from home then? Will I benefit from a third party DDNS?

When enabling DST do I need an entry in DST Bias?

When using 'Live-View' in IE, I am getting numerous bright green flashing grids (similar in shape to a waffle) that are appearing across the image but without any actual movement being evident. I haven't had this before and they are not showing on the images on my actual NVR monitor nor are they showing through my iPhone images.

Hi again JB1970,

Following your instructions, that is all working fine now. The IP address is still the same as yesterday. Why do providers find it necessary to keep changing it?
How can I overcome the problem of not being able to view my cameras when away from home then? Will I benefit from a third party DDNS?

When enabling DST do I need an entry in DST Bias?

When using 'Live-View' in IE, I am getting numerous bright green flashing grids (similar in shape to a waffle) that are appearing across the image but without any actual movement being evident. I haven't had this before and they are not showing on the images on my actual NVR monitor nor are they showing through my iPhone images.

Thats great to know.

With IPv4 there are a finite number of IP addresses available for use on the internet. When your router connects to the service it leases an address for a period of time after which it expires, then leases another. The devices on the private side of your router do the same using DHCP. Each time a new device connects to your network using DHCP it broadcasts a request for an address, your router responds with an offer, the device accepts and then the details are stored in the router until the lease expires. The new IPv6 (which isn't that well adopted yet) provides an almost limitless number. Almost all providers use this system, while some allow business users to purchase a static IP address that never changes. The only provider that differs a little is Virgin Media. Because their customers systems have a cable modem, the IP addresses tend to be locked to the hardware and thus the IP rarely changes unless the router is swapped out. Mine has changed only once in around 6 years (about two weeks ago when they made changes to their network)

There are several free DDNS providers available. Once you register, they allow you to create a unique address such as myhomecctv.ddns.net. You install a free utility on your PC which monitors your external IP address and updates the free service when it changes. All you need do is replace the external IP address you've just entered in the app for the "Home - Mobile" site with the unique address. If you use a paid service, you can enter the details into your router so that your PC doesn't need to be switched on to carry out the update - it happens automatically.

Yes in DST you set the bias to 60 minutes - the hour that it jumps forward, falls backward.

Those green squares are what the camera is seeing as motion even if you cannot see the motion. Click Configuration > Local. Under Live View Parameters where it says Rules make sure it is disabled. If it already is or this doesn't stop it I'll let you know how to switch it off in each of the cameras from their menu - it's just a box that needs unchecking.

Motion detection squares.... To get rid of them if the above didn't
  1. Go to Configuration > Network > Advanced Settings > Other (tab) and if it isn't already - tick the "Enable Virtual Host" box and save it. That will let you access the each cameras own menu (rather than just the NVR)
  2. Go to Configuration > System > Camera Management and click the link beneath "Connect" for the first camera - a new login page will open for the camera. Login with your NVR admin username and password
  3. Click on Configuration > Event > Basic Event > Motion Detection (tab)
  4. Untick the "Enable Dynamic Motion Analysis for Motion" box and save. Close that page
  5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 for your other camera.

Tis me .................again,

I have deleted the Hik-Connect app from my phone and have reinstalled it using 4G (as opposed to my home WiFi) and i have enabled DDNS.

I have left the WiFi switched off and it all seems to be working OK, at least it is at the moment.

I am confused by the Motion Detection squares, why are they appearing on the images seen through IE and not directly on the system monitor nor the iPhone. This is not something that I have ever dabbled with and it is only since doing all of this work that it has appeared.

Last edited:
Try connecting again with your WiFi on. If it will only work via Hik Connect DDNS when your WiFi is off, just add the "Home-WiFi" site back in again. You then use the "Home-WiFi" site when your at home. When you leave home (and you leave the range of your WiFi) and you're on 4G or another WiFi network it'll work via Hik Connect. When I'm setting systems up without Hik Connect I often have to set the app up with two sites - one with the internal IP address and one with the DDNS domain. This is because some routers don't allow you to access your site that has a remote address from within your home network (loopback)

The motion detection squares do only work on the web browser. They've never appeared on the app and they don't appear on the monitor though some users would like them to.

Last edited:
I have been out for most of today and I took the opportunity to try to connect to my system via my 4G phone.

I'm pleased to say that everything seems to be working fine. I didn't even have to 'switch' connections, it just logged on to my NVR/Cameras automatically.

I have also got iVMS4200 working perfectly on my pc and Hikvision is spot on too using Internet Explorer.

A million thanks to you JB1970 for your patience in sticking with this 80 year old 'not-too-techie' wrinkley. I really do appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Back