01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How do I Update the Firmware of my DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A Hikvision NVR?

scooby73466

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to help me update the firmware on my Hikvision CCTV system please ? I think I know how to do it but don't want to crash the system and so I thought I would ask that if I undertake the following procedures the update would be successful. I operate the system from my Windows 8.1 64bit desktop.

My Hikvision NVR is a DS-7604NI-E1-4P (or at least that is what is written on my purchase invoice dated 01/12/2016) When I look in Device Management>Server it is slightly different i.e. DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A On the same screen I am told that the Firmware Version is V3.4.62build 160503. It has never been updated since the purchase.

I have been advised by my supplier that the most recent firmware update is available here as a zip file :

HIKVISION UK PORTAL

Am I correct in thinking that I need to undertake the following procedures ?

1. For convenience create a brand new folder on my pc.
2. Download the zip file into that folder and unzip it.
3. Log into my NVR using the IP address.
4. Take the Configuration option as shown in the image below (Serial No. hidden in case there might be a security issue if it is shown)
5. And then take the "Update" option as outlined in green. I presume that if I do this then I will be asked where the unzipped firmware update is and proceed accordingly.

Thanks to anyone in advance if they can tell me if my planned procedure is the correct one.

Attachments

• Firmware(3).jpg
    Firmware(3).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,065
I’ve never known the one with the green ring to work. Are you clicking the browse button and then select the digicap.dav file?

delete the digicap.dav file and download it again.
reboot your NVR and try the upgrade again.
what version of windows are you using?
I always click the browse button but never get a response. Never get asked where the file is. I am using a 64 bit version of Win. 8.1 and logging into my NVR using Firefox. I'll have a go with Chrome, Edge & IE and see if that makes any difference. I could say what I am using to log in to the NVR but concerned that it might provoke a security issue. Let's just say that it begins with 192.168.

Upvote 0
I always click the browse button but never get a response. Never get asked where the file is. I am using a 64 bit version of Win. 8.1 and logging into my NVR using Firefox. I'll have a go with Chrome, Edge & IE and see if that makes any difference. I could say what I am using to log in to the NVR but concerned that it might provoke a security issue. Let's just say that it begins with 192.168.
always use internet explorer, other browsers have problems.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 as the file selection box is not opening with several browsers can you shutdown your computer and switch it on again? Do you have another computer you can try?
I'll try shutting down at first and see if that works but the only other pc that I can try is an old desktop running XP I think.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 If you have a monitor and mouse connected to your NVR you could upgrade using a USB key.

Try updating win 8.1 and give winXP a go.
Yes, I have a standalone monitor that shows the cameras constantly. My 8.1 on my desktop is always updated when I am informed that an update has been released. I quite fancy plugging a stick into the NVR with just the file on it but what do I do when I've done that ? I won't be able to do anything via the standalone because the mouse is the way in which I can control that and that is occupying the only USB slot. Do I put the stick in and try again by logging in via my desktop ?

My last post on here is missing. Not sure if I am talking rubbish here but my main desktop is NOT hard wired to the NVR, the connection must be via the router ? I was under the impression that all the program data for the CCTV system was on my desktop. There is certainly a folder on here called iVMS-4200 with 5.65gb of data in 176 files, contained in 68 folders. Is that all recorded video or are there program files in there as well ?

Upvote 0
Yes, I have a standalone monitor that shows the cameras constantly. My 8.1 on my desktop is always updated when I am informed that an update has been released. I quite fancy plugging a stick into the NVR with just the file on it but what do I do when I've done that ? I won't be able to do anything via the standalone because the mouse is the way in which I can control that and that is occupying the only USB slot. Do I put the stick in and try again by logging in via my desktop ?

My last post on here is missing. Not sure if I am talking rubbish here but my main desktop is NOT hard wired to the NVR, the connection must be via the router ? I was under the impression that all the program data for the CCTV system was on my desktop. There is certainly a folder on here called iVMS-4200 with 5.65gb of data in 176 files, contained in 68 folders. Is that all recorded video or are there program files in there as well ?
@scooby73466 on your NVR there should be another USB socket underneath where the computer rj45 ethernet cable plugs in. There is on mine.

If your desktop has a wireless interface you could be wirelessly connected to your router and then to your NVR. There could also be a computer ethernet cable connected to the back of your computer that goes to your router.

you could be recording to NVR and ivms4200, I would let the NVR do all the recording. If ivms4200 is running it may be possible to upgrade the NVR using that.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 on your NVR there should be another USB socket underneath where the computer rj45 ethernet cable plugs in. There is on mine.

If your desktop has a wireless interface you could be wirelessly connected to your router and then to your NVR. There could also be a computer ethernet cable connected to the back of your computer that goes to your router.

you could be recording to NVR and ivms4200, I would let the NVR do all the recording. If ivms4200 is running it may be possible to upgrade the NVR using that.
Ooops, sorry, there is another USB slot under the NVR/Router cable. My NVR isn't very accessible and I've had to get it out and have a good look. Now, supposing I put a memory stick in there with just the FW update file on it. What happens then please ? Do I log in with my desktop and the NVR will find the file if I go to Configuration>System>Maintenance and go through the upgrade Firmware routine ?

I am rather old fashioned insofar as I preferred being wired although of course there are some things that have to be wire-less. My pc is hard wired to the router, as is the NVR.
EDIT Just had a look in the iVMS-4200 folder on my pc and it's full of video snaps and camera snaps that I have taken while watching playback. I think all the recorded video is on the NVR, hence why I had a SEAGATE SURVEILLANCE 7TH GEN 3.5 HDD, 3TB drive when I bought it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ooops, sorry, there is another USB slot under the NVR/Router cable. My NVR isn't very accessible and I've had to get it out and have a good look. Now, supposing I put a memory stick in there with just the FW update file on it. What happens then please ? Do I log in with my desktop and the NVR will find the file if I go to Configuration>System>Maintenance and go through the upgrade Firmware routine ?

I am rather old fashioned insofar as I preferred being wired although of course there are some things that have to be wire-less. My pc is hard wired to the router, as is the NVR.
EDIT Just had a look in the iVMS-4200 folder on my pc and it's full of video snaps and camera snaps that I have taken while watching playback. I think all the recorded video is on the NVR, hence why I had a SEAGATE SURVEILLANCE 7TH GEN 3.5 HDD, 3TB drive when I bought it.
@scooby73466 to use the USB key plugged in the NVR you will have to connect your mouse and monitor to the NVR.

do you use ivms4200 on your PC?

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 to use the USB key plugged in the NVR you will have to connect your mouse and monitor to the NVR.

do you use ivms4200 on your PC?
Yes, I use my pc to use ivms4200 mostly. I can watch live or go back up to 3 weeks ago. I can move my one and only PTZ camera on the pc and set pre-sets for that camera, set motion detection, and a host of other things that I haven't mastered yet ! The pc mouse is hard wired to it via a USB cable.

Upvote 0
Yes, I use my pc to use ivms4200 mostly. I can watch live or go back up to 3 weeks ago. I can move my one and only PTZ camera on the pc and set pre-sets for that camera, set motion detection, and a host of other things that I haven't mastered yet ! The pc mouse is hard wired to it via a USB cable.
@scooby73466 On IVMS4200 go to the Maintenance and Management window.
Find the line your NVR is on and go to the righthand side and click the remote configuration gear / cog symbol.
When the remote config window opens go to system> System maintenance and see if there is an option to upgrade.
I could not see an upgrade option on mine.
Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 13.03.15.png

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 On IVMS4200 go to the Maintenance and Management window.
Find the line your NVR is on and go to the righthand side and click the remote configuration gear / cog symbol.
When the remote config window opens go to system> System maintenance and see if there is an option to upgrade.
I could not see an upgrade option on mine.
View attachment 5875
Thank you. No, I couldn't see any upgrade option on mine when I went there.

Upvote 0
@scooby73466 I've attached a file to help you upgrade the NVR firmware using the USB key connected to the NVR.
Thank you very much. I have just had a quick look at that and I found it really helpful. Let's hope it's idiot proof. :) I saw something quite disturbing last night on YouTube. Someone had updated the firmware on his iVMS-4200 and was showing how to use the VCA but his screens and layout looked totally different to mine. Could you tell me please if, when firmware updates are installed, does it alter the user interface very much ? I have got very used to the version that I am running and not that keen to have to go and learn it all over again.

I have actually had a play with VCA and am starting to get into it I think.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I have just had a quick look at that and I found it really helpful. Let's hope it's idiot proof. :) I saw something quite disturbing last night on YouTube. Someone had updated the firmware on his iVMS-4200 and was showing how to use the VCA but his screens and layout looked totally different to mine. Could you tell me please if, when firmware updates are installed, does it alter the user interface very much ? I have got very used to the version that I am running and not that keen to have to go and learn it all over again.

I have actually had a play with VCA and am starting to get into it I think.
When I've updated my NVR firmware I've never seen significant layout changes. Did the video show the NVR user interface or the Internet Explorer user interface?

VCA is the tool you need to search areas outside your detection windows. When your NVR firmware is current let's review your cameras for smart events etc.

Upvote 0
When I've updated my NVR firmware I've never seen significant layout changes. Did the video show the NVR user interface or the Internet Explorer user interface?

VCA is the tool you need to search areas outside your detection windows. When your NVR firmware is current let's review your cameras for smart events etc.
Not sure which interface it was now, watched so much last night !

If you were me would you jump straight to the latest version or do it in small steps at a time like you suggested earlier ?

Upvote 0
Not sure which interface it was now, watched so much last night !

If you were me would you jump straight to the latest version or do it in small steps at a time like you suggested earlier ?

I don't know what has changed in each one and there is a big difference between your current and the latest version. Now that I've said that I suggest you do each one in sequence and do not skip any.

Upvote 0
I don't know what has changed in each one and there is a big difference between your current and the latest version. Now that I've said that I suggest you do each one in sequence and do not skip any.
Thank you. When you say that there is a big difference between what I am using now and the current version what exactly do you mean ? Os it a difference in interface or just a lot more options ? i.e. Would there be a huge learning curve ? I think I will try and go to the next version up from mine initially just to see that I can do it.

Upvote 0
Back